Plumbers mate on cold water fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be obvious if someone had used plumbers mate on cold water fitting and would it be hazardous if they had?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't use mait on mains water fittings, don't believe it is for use on potable water but it's a non setting putty and wouldn't be of any real use on water fittings under pressure. Boss white would be the other one as a joint sealant but that isn't for use on potable supplies either.

Reactions: CBW
I only ask as the neighbour has just had his kitchen refitted and there seems to be some on his cold water compression fittings. and my kitchen was fitted around the same time

Probably best asking the installer what was used. Could be Fernox LS-X, water hawk or any other branded potable water approved paste. If it’s not then that could be against water regulations.

Sponsored Links
Probably best asking the installer what was used. Could be Fernox LS-X, water hawk or any other branded potable water approved paste. If it’s not then that could be against water regulations.
It was done before I purchased the house, so it was quite a few years ago.

It was more of a 'what if' question, as I seem to have some anxiety about my drinking water!

It was done before I purchased the house, so it was quite a few years ago.

It was more of a 'what if' question, as I seem to have some anxiety about my drinking water!

Can you post a photo.?
As said, more likely a jointing paste.
You'll not be able to tell if is for potable water just by looking at it.

I think the neighbour has weighed it in, it was on one or two of the 15mm compression fittings

'Boss White' was used for years on pipework to aid jointing, and avoid leaks, whilst it's no longer allowed to be used on Potable Water, (need 'Boss Green'), I think it would take an awful lot to make you ill, and the water would taste rather funny anyway.

In real terms, what little may have been used that could of come into contact with water would have washed away quite quickly after installation, I really wouldn't worry about it after any length of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back