Plumbing Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought and had installed an Stelflow unvented hot water cylinder, but the guy who installed it cocked-up the electrical connections to the thermostat causing a short circuit.. I don't want to use him again as I don't feel he knows what he's doing when it comes to dealing with electrical wiring I have something of an understanding of electrical wiring diagrams generally and am familiar with am 'S' plan wiring diagram, so feel reasonably confident in tackling this myself, but am confused by pamphlet instructions, (see d) below) which came with the cylinder, and seem at odds with the wiring diagram shown on the cylinder company’s website, which I discovered later. I have provided some photos, with wiring diagram to explain where my confusion lies. I will have to go into some detail so please bear with me, and it would be much appreciated if someone who genuinely understands plumbing electrics could help me out here.

a) The thermostat is of a Duastat control type, with a manual Adjustor, box (A) on the right has the water temperature regulated by the user. Also a Limiter , Box (L) automatically cuts off the boiler if the temperature ever reaches a maximum limit.

b) So instead of one standard 3 terminal box there are 2 boxes, with 2 independent circuits. Box (A) (Adjustor terminal box photo) shows 4 terminals.
(See ).

c) These are marked on the website wiring diagram as (C), (E), (2), (1) respectively. Only 2 terminals are shown to be actually connected. A(1) is taken as live to H/W programmer ON J(6), which is usual. A(2) is shown as a terminal with no actual wiring connection. I’m assuming that this is the case. Finally, L(C) is taken as the output voltage to junction box J(9). So L(C) should always have the same voltage (on/off).as A(C), which is presumably switched to A(1) internally, until the required temp is reached when it switches to A(2), thus opening the circuit in A.. Before that happens A(C) bridges live to L(2), which in turn is switched to L(C) until the maximum temp is ever reached, when L(C) switches to L(2). Ideally that should never happen as that is a safety device, thus relying on A(2) as the cut-off instead.

d ) It is the instruction pamphlet that really causes the confusion. There are 2 cables shown feeding both A and L each with 2 wires per cable (Fig. 5). As you can see, a Live is shown connected to L(C). which is misleading, as it is A(1) which should be taking live voltage from J(6), according to the wiring diagram in c) above. Furthermore, A(1) is seen connected to a neutral, whereas that terminal is supposed to be fed from the programmer HW ON via J6. Nor is there supposed to be any neutral feed to the thermo boxes, so what are they talking about? And what does terminal ‘U’ in the pamphlet mean?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I will admit at first glance it does seem strange but as one follows it there does seem to be some sense in it all.

So I'll start with central heating. Power from programmer goes to terminal 4 from there to room stat and to terminal 5 the brown wire then works the motorised valve and once open the orange wire goes to 10 and runs pump and boiler.

Now to hot water from programmer to terminal 6 to duostat and terminal 9 then this opens domestic hot water valve which once open will then with orange wire again run pump and boiler.

What you have to remember is the controls open the motorised valve then the micro switch in valve runs the boiler and pump.

The picture shows earth on duostat cut off clearly this is wrong.

1, 2, and 3 connect to Line, Neutral, and Earth and 1 on valves and junction box and L on programmer all connect together. Same goes for Neutral and 2 on valves and junction box and N on programmer these all connect together. And finally all earths need connecting.

The 1 and 2 on duostat does seem wrong way around but very easy to test with a meter.

1, 2, and 3 connect to Line, Neutral, and Earth and 1 on valves and junction box and L on programmer all connect together. Same goes for Neutral and 2 on valves and junction box and N on programmer these all connect together. And finally all earths need connecting.
I appreciate that, but did you not have a look at the official wiring diagram, rather than the pamphlet one. It's that one which makes sense and shows no connections to neutral or earth regarding the HWC thermo. 1, 2 an3 are encircled underneath all terminal points where connections are to be made to Live, Neutral and Earth respectively. The pamplet, which is the document a plumber would bee working from is a dangerous load of ****** IMO, and what threw me completely until I saw the website wiring diagram.

Unfortunately I don't possess a meter.[/b][/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back