Hi all

Major renovation plumbing quote for:

Heat pump source
Hot water cylinder
15 radiators
Presser exspantion vessel
Old pipe work to new
Connect to soil pipe and waste etc
Fit customers own sanitary wear (family bathroom, en-suite and utuility room).
Multi fuel log burner connected to the boiler to run rads off. (Customer own)

It is a 4 bedroom house.

Quoted £17.000
Seems to steep to me. I thought about £10.000

Any suggestions?...
Regards kobanks

Sponsored Links
Seems cheap to me. :rolleyes:

How much do you think it should be? :rolleyes:

Well lets say heat source pump and cylinder and other things come to around figure of around £7000 give or take.
And labour say 2 weeks work at £300 a day (down south)
my estimate £3000 labour.
Total £10.000
Not forgetting we are providing all sanituray wear and mutiful log burner.

So would you say £7000 over priced.

I,m not an expert but something do,nt seem write.

Just saying

Well lets say heat source pump and cylinder and other things come to around figure of around £7000 give or take.
Total £10.000

Just saying

I suggest you get a basic concept of English. Write? Who are you to dismiss a quote? Get others.

Sponsored Links
We had a Full central heating system installed (with no ceilings up for easier access for pipe work last august. Vaillant 837, Stelrads with about 9-10 radiators inc chrome towel rail. All old pipe work was replaced from the house stop tap onwards. LOTS of copper used for our system, combimate, magnaclean etc so all inc materials. I chased everything, and notched all joists needed and basically did all prep work possible. It took 2 guys 3 full days and was around £4500. Inc vat btw.

I would have thought more rads + the inevitable extra pipework extra, also the heat pump setup, not to mention to fit everything and re-do the rooms.

Plastic or Copper system? Ours was 15mm full copper. Is that price inc VAT? because if so that's nearly 3k of VAT on that which the fitters don't get etc. So really your looking at more like 14k for their costs remember. Day rate will usually be ex vat. so you can add £60 on that figure for each day right off so sling another £600 on your figure there.

We had a Full central heating system installed (with no ceilings up for easier access for pipe work last august. Vaillant 837, Stelrads with about 9-10 radiators inc chrome towel rail. All old pipe work was replaced from the house stop tap onwards. LOTS of copper used for our system, combimate, magnaclean etc so all inc materials. I chased everything, and notched all joists needed and basically did all prep work possible. It took 2 guys 3 full days and was around £4500. Inc vat btw.

I would have thought more rads + the inevitable extra pipework extra, also the heat pump setup, not to mention to fit everything and re-do the rooms.

Plastic or Copper system? Ours was 15mm full copper. Is that price inc VAT? because if so that's nearly 3k of VAT on that which the fitters don't get etc. So really your looking at more like 14k for their costs remember. Day rate will usually be ex vat. so you can add £60 on that figure for each day right off so sling another £600 on your figure there.

Also sorting out 3 rooms - bathroom, en-suite, utility etc, will take a fair amount of time.

I think you are massively under estimating the time. On ours which is a smaller system by a long way... was 6 working days. You have multiple rooms, extra radiators and pipework, log burners, heat pumps etc. I would say that's a pretty cheap price if its including VAT actually.

Are they just fitting the sanitary ware or tiling the rooms or anything else as well? or just re-fitting them all back? What are the states of those rooms?

Are they doing any/all chasing and prep work also? or are you doing that.

Let us know the answers I've asked but if (and i'm assuming this) that includes all those parts, prep work and such I'd get them booked in fast haha!

Also sorting out 3 rooms - bathroom, en-suite, utility etc, will take a fair amount of time.

I think you are massively under estimating the time. On ours which is a smaller system by a long way... was 6 working days. You have multiple rooms, extra radiators and pippipeworkog burners, heat pumps etc. I would say that's a pretty cheap price if its including VAT actually.

Are they just fitting the sanitary ware or tiling the rooms or anything else as well? or just re-fitting them all back? What are the states of those rooms?

Are they doing any/all chasing and prep work also? or are you doing that.

Let us know the answers I've asked but if (and i'm assuming this) that includes all those parts, prep work and such I'd get them booked in fast haha!

All parts apart from log burner and sanitary wear
In the old house all is copper piping and that is fitting like for like (empty house).

In the new extension it will be a shell so no ceilings. However they will have to chase some sections.

No tiling! Just refitting of sanituary wear once tiler finishes etc.
Reards kobanks.

Humm, unsure, even like for like with new copper could take time to do all the fitting etc..

Sure on the ceilings down. In the empty house, surly they will still have to re-do all that, lifting floor boards etc,

And sure on the re-fit sanitary. Still seems like a fair amount of work to do there.

Also depends on which "Heat pump source" - They seem to vary massively in cost etc.

They key question was does it include vat?

Could you ask them for more of a break down rather than final figure?

Total £10.000

Just saying

I suggest you get a basic concept of English. Write? Who are you to dismiss a quote? Get others.

Thanks for pointing out my basic concept of english. Ofsted head!!!! I am not dismissing anything and yes i have the brains to get other quotes.

However i have the write/right !!!! to come on to the site and question what ever i like. I thought there would be helpful people on here (you not being one!!).
Clearly your on the wrong site mate. Ta ta...

Humm, unsure, even like for like with new copper could take time to do all the fitting etc..

Sure on the ceilings down. In the empty house, surly they will still have to re-do all that, lifting floor boards etc,

And sure on the re-fit sanitary. Still seems like a fair amount of work to do there.

Also depends on which "Heat pump source" - They seem to vary massively in cost etc.

They key question was does it include vat?

Could you ask them for more of a break down rather than final figure?

I have just looked at the quote and it is not including VAT.

Also i think i will go back for a break down rather than final figure. It will enable me to see where the money is being spent. I can then match it with other quotes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have just looked at the quote and it is not including VAT.

Also i think i will go back for a break down rather than final figure. It will enable me to see where the money is being spent. I can then match it with other quotes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Blimey, I wonder if VATs on top of that then as well! Watch out if it is.

Yea get a break down and I assume you know the parts your getting? That would be interesting to know if they have quoted for everything top of the range etc. Or cheap parts and trying to flease you or not.

Yea I'd get a few quotes. I did about 10-12 quotes for our electrics and I think it was 3-4 for our central heating system.

Now now everyone be nice....

You shouldn't just slate people. People may have difficulty spelling/or things like dyslexia etc. Comments like that doesn't help anyone. You clicked to come to the thread, you didn't have to, yet you felt compelled to slate someone on their spelling/grammar while offering no advice. Complete waste of time. If you are not going to add anything why waste your time posting.

However i have the write/right !!!! to come on to the site and question what ever i like.

You do have the right just as everyone does. Questioning things is how people learn, keep asking questions.

Actually this site is not for comparing quotes. It is for DIY though, so why don't you do the job yourself. That way you won't have to pay for any labour.

Wrong. It's not for comparing quotes for sure, however people new to these kind of projects/renovations etc may like a little guidance/ feedback or even general thoughts before actually wasting hours and hours of other quotes/trades time getting quotes.

What if he had said that quote was 50k? everyone would have been laughing and said to get more quotes as they may all think 20k is better. The point being if your not in the field/area you may not even have a clue if the quotes were reasonable still or even an explanation as to the cost....

Sorry are you also suggesting that someone with probably no experience in this field carries out likely gas works on attempting to install a system themselves? to DIY a system like that most likely requiring building regs notification?

I had loads of quotes on our electrics specification install.... Varied from 4.3k up to 10k.... With the majority being around 8-9k! Turns out that the one we are using is one of the most highly recommended while actually being the cheapest - we didn't go just on price but turns out the others are making a rather substantial margin/mark-up higher, even when you factor in they have VAT to charge on top they were still 3-4k more expensive.

Now back to the original question and the principles of a forum offering advice. And grow up the lot of you.

To be fair, what was the point in asking - you had already made up yoor mind it was too much.

And TEN - TWELVE quotes for an electrical job.? Just imagine the amount of "free" time that was involved.

Remember that when a T/man works, say 3 days on a job, his actual time spent securing the work, and being in the position to offer that service amounts to a good deAL MORE.

Now now everyone be nice....

You shouldn't just slate people. People may have difficulty spelling/or things like dyslexia etc. Comments like that doesn't help anyone. You clicked to come to the thread, you didn't have to, yet you felt compelled to slate someone on their spelling/grammar while offering no advice. Complete waste of time. If you are not going to add anything why waste your time posting.

However i have the write/right !!!! to come on to the site and question what ever i like.

You do have the right just as everyone does. Questioning things is how people learn, keep asking questions.

Actually this site is not for comparing quotes. It is for DIY though, so why don't you do the job yourself. That way you won't have to pay for any labour.

Wrong. It's not for comparing quotes for sure, however people new to these kind of projects/renovations etc may like a little guidance/ feedback or even general thoughts before actually wasting hours and hours of other quotes/trades time getting quotes.

What if he had said that quote was 50k? everyone would have been laughing and said to get more quotes as they may all think 20k is better. The point being if your not in the field/area you may not even have a clue if the quotes were reasonable still or even an explanation as to the cost....

Sorry are you also suggesting that someone with probably no experience in this field carries out likely gas works on attempting to install a system themselves? to DIY a system like that most likely requiring building regs notification?

I had loads of quotes on our electrics specification install.... Varied from 4.3k up to 10k.... With the majority being around 8-9k! Turns out that the one we are using is one of the most highly recommended while actually being the cheapest - we didn't go just on price but turns out the others are making a rather substantial margin/mark-up higher, even when you factor in they have VAT to charge on top they were still 3-4k more expensive.

Now back to the original question and the principles of a forum offering advice. And grow up the lot of you.

Thank you, well said.

If i could do the job myself beleive me i would.

But as i,m a female (beleive me i can multi-task) this job is just slightly out of my reach.
I was asking a question about price, thank you to those of you who kindly helped.

Now were,s my mixer to mix cement!!! Ha.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back