Plumbing quote ....questionable????

To be fair, what was the point in asking - you had already made up yoor mind it was too much.

And TEN - TWELVE quotes for an electrical job.? Just imagine the amount of "free" time that was involved.

Remember that when a T/man works, say 3 days on a job, his actual time spent securing the work, and being in the position to offer that service amounts to a good deAL MORE.

Fair point to the first bit, however when you scale things back and look at it from another point. Work out parts, then labour.
It is quite an eye opener!!

Sponsored Links
To be fair, what was the point in asking - you had already made up yoor mind it was too much.

And TEN - TWELVE quotes for an electrical job.? Just imagine the amount of "free" time that was involved.

Remember that when a T/man works, say 3 days on a job, his actual time spent securing the work, and being in the position to offer that service amounts to a good deAL MORE.

Excuse me who the hell do you think you are?

It was around an hour each for a site walk and sure it wasn't "FREE" time, it was their time. I didn't know what they were going to quote until I had the quote hence getting the quotes... I got 3 for plumbing because I was happy with the ones I received.

It was the same with the Windows. I had quotes from 5k up to 12k. However I did all I could to take the measurements myself, send them off and get speculative quotes from the companies without them having to come out and waste much of their time rather than just do a couple of calculations. They said the quotes were obviously based on a site visit and assuming my measurements were reasonably close etc. But I couldn't do that with electrics specifications.

Yea free time? £300 worth for an hour (£30)each maybe. I'm not going to Sp*unk an extra £3000-£4000 lining someone's pockets... Even our electricician when I said how much the quotes were said they were having a complete joke. I tried to get ROUGH ball park figures on the phone but most wouldn't even speculate until seeing the job. One speculated 7-8k so I didn't waste his time even asking him to come look. So I did everything I could not to waste peoples time. Just as I expect them not to waste mine.

Of course it wasn't free time (I never said it was), however clearly jacking up the price that much, more than covers it on other jobs for people daft enough to waste that amount of money.

I know all about running business, so don't you dare lecture me. I work for my self and have had to even do small jobs for free in the past when starting up to secure larger jobs/future clients.

I also took the time out myself (From My work) so I also wasn't earning money to come out in THEIR working day also - not their evening and cutting in to their social lives. So don't you dare talk that crap back to me. I lost just as much money not working as they did however if I had gone with them I'd have had to have worked a shed load harder than they did for many weeks more for them to have an easy ride.

However back to the original poster who I'm more than willing to help out, get a few quotes and get that break down to get an idea where things are going, perhaps even get a few personal recommendations also if you know anyone who has had work done.

The point also is it may not be too expensive. Someone that doesn't know anything could be expensive. It takes a few people I the know to explain the amount of time to do these things and even put them in to a context even. Not just break out in to a slagging off match for no reason at all. Which gets everyone utterly no where.

I'm genuinely disappointed in many of you on this thread with posts in the thousands with the attitudes and how you have presented yourselves. I genuinely expected better from clearly forum veterans. If you have seen these posts before and don't really want to pass useful comment or even regular advice as simple as best to get a few more quotes. Why waste time/take the **** or joke about to just increase your post counts.

3DGuy you talk nothing but nonsense , your posts are full of ****e and your advice is not worth reading.

Take a good hard look @ your post count to thanks ratio? (1 thanks in 17.5 posts :LOL:) pretty grim really. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
3DGuy you talk nothing but nonsense , your posts are full of s***te and your advice is not worth reading.

Take a good hard look @ your post count to thanks ratio? (1 thanks in 17.5 posts :LOL:) pretty grim really. :rolleyes:

Please show me what part is ****e, but Pm it if you like to not clog up a thread. And I'm not worried by that thanks forum widget really. Chap in another thread seems happy I've tried to help him out of a problem situation, no one else was really helping.. Anyone in the threads I've commented has said thanks. Besides apart from my posts (even if you think they are crap) no others have been of any use/offered any advice.

Are you a qualified plumbing/heating engineer 3DGuy? ...thought not. ;)

Are you a qualified plumbing/heating engineer 3DGuy? ...thought not. ;)

That's besides the point? The other thread you went out of your way to comment on, was passing on info I heard. Of which both plumbers between them have about 70+ years experience...

This one I could see no one was offering any help what so ever. Also I wasn't specifically offering advice on those areas. It was more general on things to look out for, request, consider... I wasn't suggesting to take a boiler apart or actually provide any information on the technical aspects :)

However I know I'm not a qualified engineer , which I can accept :) however you fail to grasp the basic concept of proving help on a forum. Perhaps have a read of the forum rules? Perhaps Point 1 and 2 might be quite relevant.

Ah that's better - Used the anti-crap button :)

Now now everyone be nice....

I suggest you get a basic concept of English. Write? Who are you to dismiss a quote? Get others.

You shouldn't just slate people. People may have difficulty spelling/or things like dyslexia etc. Comments like that doesn't help anyone. You clicked to come to the thread, you didn't have to, yet you felt compelled to slate someone on their spelling/grammar while offering no advice. Complete waste of time. If you are not going to add anything why waste your time posting.

However i have the write/right !!!! to come on to the site and question what ever i like.

You do have the right just as everyone does. Questioning things is how people learn, keep asking questions.

Actually this site is not for comparing quotes. It is for DIY though, so why don't you do the job yourself. That way you won't have to pay for any labour.

Wrong. It's not for comparing quotes for sure, however people new to these kind of projects/renovations etc may like a little guidance/ feedback or even general thoughts before actually wasting hours and hours of other quotes/trades time getting quotes.

What if he had said that quote was 50k? everyone would have been laughing and said to get more quotes as they may all think 20k is better. The point being if your not in the field/area you may not even have a clue if the quotes were reasonable still or even an explanation as to the cost....

Sorry are you also suggesting that someone with probably no experience in this field carries out likely gas works on attempting to install a system themselves? to DIY a system like that most likely requiring building regs notification?

I had loads of quotes on our electrics specification install.... Varied from 4.3k up to 10k.... With the majority being around 8-9k! Turns out that the one we are using is one of the most highly recommended while actually being the cheapest - we didn't go just on price but turns out the others are making a rather substantial margin/mark-up higher, even when you factor in they have VAT to charge on top they were still 3-4k more expensive.

Now back to the original question and the principles of a forum offering advice. And grow up the lot of you.

Thank you, well said.

If i could do the job myself beleive me i would.

But as i,m a female (beleive me i can multi-task) this job is just slightly out of my reach.
I was asking a question about price, thank you to those of you who kindly helped.

Now were,s my mixer to mix cement!!! Ha.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Because the brain cannot fully focus when multitasking, people take longer to complete tasks and are predisposed to error.

Btw what is a "Heat pump source"?

Work out parts, then labour.
It is quite an eye opener!!

try fitting the bathrooms yourself. then when you realised your missing traps a few fitting here and there . same with the heating side. then its an eye opener when it comes to fittings. but as you dont have a clue, you cant price up for the fittings as you dont know what is involved. look up munsen rings. used by pros doing a pro job. you can get cheaper. its called a nail and balancing the pipe on it ;) as mentioned in some topics NOA

Now 3DGuy , if anything holtys above post deserves a thanks would you agree?

Already thanked :) And I've just recently fitted our bathroom, so completely understand when something crops up and you need a non standard fitting to achieve the best result.

Already thanked :) And I've just recently fitted our bathroom, so completely understand when something crops up and you need a non standard fitting to achieve the best result.

So why were you having quotes for plumbing work if as you say you did it yourself?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back