plumbing quotes (help) !!!

come on bender thats an extreme case and you know it

Most of us plumber probably earn between 30 and 40k per year, and thats after gaining years of experiance AND working all the hours god gives.

I have tried to earn more but never have. If I am working on site for lets say four weeks or so I will reduce my hourly rate to about 22 phr and would expect to earn 200 per day, I know that chippies earn more per day, sparkies about the same, brickies probably a bit more if they can lay fast enough.

bare in mind that will not mean I am on site earning for those four weeks, first fix **** ups etc second fix nightmare, we have all been there.

I have had a look though my book from JIB and that reckons that the hourly rate for an experiance technically trained plumber should be approx 21.50 per hour plus subsistance.

to be trained to that level took me seven years of grunt work, which included a lot of labouring to make ends meet.

so you think we are worth ten pound per hour, decent proven competent plumbers are trained to at least graduate level now (but then they are going to start calling degrees clitorus' from now on I will leave you to guess why;) ) with the ongoing vocational training we HAVE to undergo, we may be the most highly paid trade but we are also the most REGULATED AND INSPECTED trade (well up untill really recently we were thos poor sparkies lol) so why the hell should this education, training regulations etc not be reflected in a higher rate???

you have a touch of the sour grapes mate (I am an engineer I have a degree I am worth sooooo much more than a scum sucking working class piece of **** plumber) but you perception of us and our trade is outdated and wrong

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys if i stirred up some feelings here.

the wife earns £8.50 per hour as a cash clerk (she gives you your money when you queue) which around our area (Nottinghamshire) isn't that bad a wage, although could be better i suppose.

i actually think plumbers can charge around £25+ per hour because alot of people wont attempt it themselves.

And this thread isn't a wind up, and the quote for the bathroom suite is a ripping out/fitting price only, i am going to attempt all the tiling etc...

p.s we have given the plumber the work, thanks for your input. ;)

Dont worry samuel this is what we get when we start talking about money, most people think that as plumbers we should only earn enough to send the wife off to bingo once a week and have enough left over for tea and bacca.

It is aborant to the professional that we may want to have a nice home drive a nice car and well maybe earn as much as them, how dare we we are working class and must doff our caps to our betters.

bender said:
As I said you're living in cloud cuckoo land, you have proved my point !
Well I can see that you're intent on believing that, but, sadly, you're the only one.

I said:
samueljames said:
(i dont earn that much an hour and i work in a bank)
And I'm really struggling to believe this. Unless you're a cleaner in a bank...
And from that you gleaned this:

bender said:
...the only way you can come to terms with a typical skilled person's rate of £10 (or in my case £13) is by suggesting that the person is a cleaner or rubbish at the're job.
It's widely believed that cleaners' wages are poor, which is why I used it as an example of someone who earns less than £10 per hour. The only person that I've suggested is rubbish at their job is you, and I offered you the alternative explanation of you being a fool. One of them is the truth, so whichever cap fits - wear it.

bender said:
You're accusing me but you're certainly making many assumptions on my behalf.
Please name one that I've made.

bender said:
The plumber that I mentioned who charged £1500 for a day and a half's work told my friend that he only needed to do one job like that a week to keep enough money coming in.
You said that the £1500 included all materials. It also included all overheads. If you know, or have worked out, what his taxable profit was, then please post it here and I'll tell you what I think of your calculation.

bender said:
You plumbers should be glad that you can charge a week (at least) of someone else's wages for a days effort on your part.
Oh, so the day and a half has now become a day. Tell me - on the basis of your postings do you actually expect anyone here to take you seriously?

Sponsored Links
Hello Corgiman, You've made some good points.

Sorry if I gave the impression of being conceited, I can assure you that I don't think I'm any better than a plumber or any other trade for that matter, we all try to make a living somehow.

I wasn't saying that a plumber should be earning down to my level but trying to make the point that the bank workers rate of £10/hr was not far from most other skilled persons rates, which the previous poster had found an unbelievable figure and inferred it must be a cleaners job (or in my case a cr*p engineer).

I certainly wouldn't argue with plumbers earning £20 - £25/hr, as I said it's the £60+/hr that some plumbers charge that I find amazing, as in the case of my friends boiler job which was cash in hand.

our firm charges 62.50 for call out and diagnosis (we dont get that mind ;) )

but for that they provide the infrastructure to attend a call within our area on the same day (in most cases within two hours) and offer a genuine 24hr service (try ringing some of those yellow pages lads at three and see where that gets you :LOL: )

we then provide a price to repair (replace parts etc) based on an hourly rate of 35 plus vat.

I think the boiler replacements are based on 25 or 30 i cannot remeber as I dont do them a lot

I think that that is fairly reasonable, I now some lads charge 125 per hour and some that charge 15 per hour (but you have to wait a loooong time from him and he is crap LMAO)

I have a friend who works as an electronics engineer through agencies and he gets about £17 per hour.

When I was a senior engineer with the BBC I was earning about £46k.

Most hard working plumbers earn about £30-£40 as mentioned above. The agency hourly rate for wet plumbers is about £11.50 which is little more than your bank worker.

Tony

corgiman said:
surgeon must have charged BUPA loads to repair my tendon, should have ask softus, agile or chrishutt to do it
No worries - a couple of PX40s, short length of copper, crimp the olives - Robert's your father's brother :evil:

I think it has a lot to do with supply and demand. We are in Cheddar, Somerset and work within a 5 mile radius only as there is so munh work, people just can't get plumbers hence you can charge £35 an hour plus VAT.

claire21 said:
I think it has a lot to do with supply and demand. We are in Cheddar, Somerset and work within a 5 mile radius only as there is so munh work, people just can't get plumbers hence you can charge £35 an hour plus VAT.

Also, people do talk to each other. Not everyone chooses a tradesman based on the price alone. There is no point paying £1500 for a cheap boiler install when it has to be renewed every 5 years.

My jobs are all north of £3k and I've got plenty of work on. I've won many quotes where my quote has been £1k more than other the chaps. As mentioned elsewhere I give all my potential customers the opportunity to talk to my previous customers and see my work. Your 'cash in hand' and rogue trader types would not do this.

hi samueljames there is a web site called WHATPRICE.co.uk would give you an idea of hourly rates and prices of jobs good luck

Yesterday I met another friend who is an electronics design engineer but was laid off a few months ago and wants to do some boiler repairs for a while for us.

When he works he gets about double the £17 p.h. that my other friend gets. Thats about £34 p.h. as an electronics design engineer! It seems that Bender should review his career options as he seems underpaid.

I would say my friend is very good at electronics. He failed to fix a mutual friends boiler after about an hour of instruction on the phone though. I had to send a new trainee with only a few months experience.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back