Pointing- Material Calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anybody have a calculation I can use to work out how much mortar I need per sq m. I know it needs to be 3/1 or 4/1 but I can't find out how MUCH mortar I need anywhere (I've spent about two hours googling!)

It's a garden wall with red bricks and I'll be grinding out to about 20mm, the beds are about 10mm.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
2 hours! We are talking about a few quids worth of materials FFS. Worry about something more worthwhile like the quality of the pointing or of the raking out.

Buy 8 small bags of sand and a couple of bags of cement or lime (depending on finish). We'll have a whip-round on this very forum. I'm sure we can raise the £20 needed.

How big is the wall? Best off buying 4 sand and 1 cement and see how far you get.

Forget the internet.

Sponsored Links
If it helps, half a black bucket full will do 2m2, 15mm deep, in stretcher bond, buff metric bricks, flush pointed, with not a lot dropped on the floor.

I'm not sure if this applies to red bricks :cautious:

Yes this does help. The wall is 20 square metres approx.

I think what you are saying is....the amount of materials is pretty small so just buy a few bags and see were you get to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back