Police Broke down door into one of my properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I received a call from the neighbour saying the Police broke down the door to a property I own. I've informed the letting agent.

I assume the tenant must be upto no good for the police to break down the door.

So should I contact the Police or leave it to my letting agent to sort out - it's what I pay him.

I don't have any interaction with the tenant.

Sponsored Links
Drugs raid probably.

The police don't refund......

I cant see any point contacting the police, so let the letting agent deal.

The police took my skip, didnt tell me -took nearly 4 weeks to track it down.

Drugs raid probably.

The police don't refund......

I cant see any point contacting the police, so let the letting agent deal.

The police took my skip, didnt tell me -took nearly 4 weeks to track it down.

Thanks. I thought as much. I will leave it to the agent to sort out. Been told the door frame can be repaired I hope so not too big a job. But when do I the repairs?

I don't want to make a repair only to have it broken in again. Lol

Do both, let the letting agent contact the tenant, he can with hold the deposit for damage caused ( if the Tenant paid a deposit ! ) costs taken out of deposit including cost of new door, anything left over would be returned to you. Other than that its a Small Claims Court Problem

Sponsored Links
If it goes to court and the tenant is found guilty then you could ask the court to issue a compensation order.

Update. The frame of the door is damaged. Door is ok. So would be a frame repair.

No point going through insurance or claiming from the Police.

The letting agent said he will try track the tenant down.

House is fine inside, agent had been a few weeks ago.

I assume that there must be some doors that cannot be knocked out? I owned a flat in Walthamstow many years ago, one of the previous owners was a salesman for an Italian security door company - the front door and frame was steel and apparently unbreakable - the wall would break first. Why aren't more doors built like this, considering the rise in burglaries?
Or it is just because people will find another way in anyway, so no point in spending the money. Makes sense in flats certainly.

You would need to report it to the Police so its on record, I based my reply on my sons interpretation of the problem, he runs a letting agency

You would need to report it to the Police so its on record, I based my reply on my sons interpretation of the problem, he runs a letting agency

Report the damage to the Police? Even if I am not going to claim.

Also is the agent or myself allowed into the property if the tenant is not there?

does insurance cover this sort of damage?
although, maybe cheaper in the long run to just get it fixed?

Also is the agent or myself allowed into the property if the tenant is not there?

It is not unknown for the Police to break down the wrong door. Then the Compensation would be their problem

The letting agent is responsible for maintaining the security of the property

It is not unknown for the Police to break down the wrong door. Then the Compensation would be their problem

The letting agent is responsible for maintaining the security of the property

I'm going to give it a few days and see what the letting agent does.

I'm not bothered if it leads to a loss of rent as long as the property is ok. The tenant been with me for 4/5 years - he's always paid his rent but never on time.

Don't you want to know why they kicked the door in ? They can't just do this, they need a warrant. If they didn't have a warrant and went in without one claim against the police. Ask to see the warrant.

To anyone that has a problem with me saying this, there's no need to use unreasonable force unless it's a drugs warrant. If it's an arrest warrant why wouldn't they nick the bloke outside ? Lack of patience ? Couldn't be bothered ? No excuse to break the law themselves.

Check your tenancy agreement. If the tenants been incarcerated it's very likely that you'll have powers of entry now.

Don't you want to know why they kicked the door in ? They can't just do this, they need a warrant. If they didn't have a warrant and went in without one claim against the police. Ask to see the warrant.

To anyone that has a problem with me saying this, there's no need to use unreasonable force unless it's a drugs warrant. If it's an arrest warrant why wouldn't they nick the bloke outside ? Lack of patience ? Couldn't be bothered ? No excuse to break the law themselves.
Yeah, they can come enter a premises without a warrant or permission for a number of reasons, including an arrest warrant.
Think about it. Man wanted for a serious crime. Plod isn't going to wait outside until he leaves the property, could be days, weeks or even longer if criminal knows plod are waiting...

Sponsored Links
Back