Police Broke down door into one of my properties

Neighbour said the Police entered the property and left after 5 minutes. They stood outside the back garden for a few hours before leaving after which the tenants family returned to the house.

I assume the Police are after the father.

Sponsored Links
You said this and I disagreed.
Police can't force entry without a warrant Sod. Worries me how few people these days know their rights, no wonder we're losing all our freedoms.

Also you shouldn't be encouraging law breaking, even when it's committed by the police.

So I said this and you disagree.

I am not encouraging law breaking. Just trying to tell you you've got it wrong!

Have a look here if you don't believe me. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/60/section/17
Sod it's you that has it wrong.

Do you know the difference between entry and forced entry ?

The police are allowed to use reasonable force without a warrant. Power of entry sometimes can include force, as long as it can be justified. You could say that any entry is forced if the person at the door says no.

Which goes back around to my original point Sod, you don't know your rights.

Notch says this, which points out pretty much the same as my previous posts and you agree.
The police do have powers to enter without a warrant, but only in a few circumstances:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/police/police-entry-and-search-powers/

So if you rob a bank and you manage to drive home and get back indoors, dont think the police will stop at the door...

I know they do. As I've already said ...

So for once and for all, do you agree or not that the police are allowed to gain entry to your house, using force or otherwise without a warrant or not? You said it as a blanket no, never, without a warrant even though you've been given links to say they can so I don't understand why you keep telling me I don't know my rights.

And yes, debt collectors have no powers, bailiffs can get court orders for certain debts and enter your property by forced entry.
https://www.payplan.com/advice/collection-of-debts/dealing-with-bailiffs/

ask the tenant what is going on. They are responsible to you. Unless you are fully managed don’t waste effort talking to agent.

Sponsored Links
ask the tenant what is going on. They are responsible to you. Unless you are fully managed don’t waste effort talking to agent.

It is fully managed by the agent. He collects the cash and advises me of any repairs which then I can tell my guy to sort out or he will. I don't talk to the tenant or interact with him unless I need to arrange say a gas certificate or repair.

Sounds like you don’t want to know in which case, why bother posting it up? What were you expecting people to say “Yeah, I wouldn’t want to know why the police smashed the door in on a house I own so I’ll just pay for the repairs”. Personally, I’d want to hear directly from the tenant and then I’d make a decision whether to let them stay or chuck 'em out.

You said this and I disagreed.

So I said this and you disagree.

Notch says this, which points out pretty much the same as my previous posts and you agree.

So for once and for all, do you agree or not that the police are allowed to gain entry to your house, using force or otherwise without a warrant or not? You said it as a blanket no, never, without a warrant even though you've been given links to say they can so I don't understand why you keep telling me I don't know my rights.

And yes, debt collectors have no powers, bailiffs can get court orders for certain debts and enter your property by forced entry.
https://www.payplan.com/advice/collection-of-debts/dealing-with-bailiffs/

Police need a warrant to enter a property. If they don't have a warrant they are breaking the law. In some circumstances (firearms police) they might have additional powers. If it's a drugs warrant then fair enough, if it's an arrest warrant fair enough.. bottom line - is there a warrant, is it needed? .. YES

Debt collectors have no powers to enter a property. Bailiffs have no powers to enter a property unless it's a commercial debt/commercial premises.

The link you posted has faulty information. A bailiff cannot use force to enter a property unless there is a possession order. There is no civil debt that allows forceful entry, CCJs are worthless. That website is bullsh1t and shame on them for publishing it - then again what do you expect from some debt advice company.

Last edited:
You can't say from this distance if the Police had grounds even without a warrant. There are many scenarios where they can force entry without one.

You're right I can't. That's why it's a good idea for the OP to find out the reason and ask about the warrant.

The Police can kick your door in at will if they are trying to apprehend you. Honestly don't see the problem.

Reading your statement, can I ask you to read the examples below please. Then can I ask you if your following statement is true?
Police need a warrant to enter a property. If they don't have a warrant they are breaking the law.

House on fire, police first on the scene with just a few moments to drag someone out. Do they do it, or do they wait for a warrant?

Someone knocks an old lady down to grab her handbag, seriously hurting her. The suspect is followed to his home and has the handbag with them - crucial evidence. Does the policeman wait for a warrant?

A woman can be heard getting the kicking of her life from her hubby in her home. Does the policeman wait for a warrant?

No is the answer, nor will they be found guilty of breaking any law.

The gasboard used to have powers of entry and could break into a property in the case of a gas leak.

Reading your statement, can I ask you to read the examples below please. Then can I ask you if your following statement is true?

House on fire, police first on the scene with just a few moments to drag someone out. Do they do it, or do they wait for a warrant?

Someone knocks an old lady down to grab her handbag, seriously hurting her. The suspect is followed to his home and has the handbag with them - crucial evidence. Does the policeman wait for a warrant?

A woman can be heard getting the kicking of her life from her hubby in her home. Does the policeman wait for a warrant?

In example 1, 3 and 4 everyone is protected, example 2 we could have good look at some case law and make an argument:
s5, Criminal Damage Act 1971
S76 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008
+ common Law
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/self-defence-and-prevention-crime

The issue here is not - did the police commit a criminal act, but are they legally responsible for the damage. if they picked the wrong house by negligent mistake they might well be. Nobody knows. In any case... As the OP (I assume) has an Assured short hold tenancy agreement in place, he is not yet an interested party.

His property got damaged, his tenant is accountable to him for the damage. In fact he should probably not make repairs without first agreeing them with the tenant. Particularly if he ultimately wants paying for them.

That's why the op needs to find out why the police were acting lawful and had a warrant.

Sponsored Links
Back