Dispute Over Joiners Invoice

Sponsored Links
Was it a JOINER or a Window boarding/Emergency Glazing co. :?: The Old Bill aren`t interested -They probably have to call someone due to H+S legislation :rolleyes: This is becoming another " Bash the Tradesman" thread :rolleyes:

theve got a duty to ensure the property is left secure if they cant get hold of the owner. Theyre not going to stand outside guarding it all night. Youd sure be moaning more if theyd left it insecure

Any joiner will be turning in his grave or spitting feathers if you think its a joiner that did the work!

Yes, I have insurance.

But I have a very high excess which deems an insurance claim pointless. I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts.

I'm not looking to "bash the tradesman", just want to know the best way to dispute an amount which I don't think fairly represents the level of work that was performed.

Sponsored Links
Any joiner will be turning in his grave or spitting feathers if you think its a joiner that did the work!

It was a proper joiner who did the work. Invoice came from a joinery firm in my area.

I'm not looking to "bash the tradesman", just want to know the best way to dispute an amount which I don't think fairly represents the level of work that was performed.

I think all things considered £210 +vat isn't too unreasonable for the service you received. You have to remember that it's not quality bespoke bench joinery that you are paying for, it's an emergency call out service.

Sorry to go on about insurance, Marsden, but I think you will find the carpenters, locksmiths or any other tradesmen that carry out work in these circumstances pretty much assume that their invoice will be claimed against a policy. And it is that that they are charging for, not the plywood, screws or nails, it's that they are working anti-social hours.

Last year my flat was broken into along with several neighbours flats and quite a bit of stuff was taken - laptops, cameras etc. The new, replacement interior doors for five flats came to just over seven grand. Yes, that's right, seven ****ing big ones! But for the existence of our buildings insurance, I reckon I would have endured total failure of the lower bowel. The excess? Just £100. Don't mean to be rude, but if the excess is so astronomically high is it because you live in some godforsaken wasteland where even the local vicar is doing time for breaking and entering? ;)

What you are paying for is the late night service, two guys in a van who are on standby to board up premises after hours. You are paying an abnormal amount because of the abnormal time at which the work was carried out.

If you think the amount unreasonable then send them an amount that you feel the job is worth and inform them that that is all you are willing to pay and why. Keep your letter factual and free from emotion. Keep any photos of the work and the piece of plywood. Should the firm wish to pursue the matter in court you would need to show due cause for nonpayment of the balance. Put a paragraph in your letter stating that banking the cheque constitutes full and final settlement of their bill.

This is no different to having a meal in a restaurant and being unhappy with the service or the quality of the food. You do not have to pay the full amount if you have a grievance. If the service was bad you can ask for the service charge to be deducted (or just deduct it yourself) If the meal was not value for money you can make a gesture to pay. It has to be reasonable, you could not justify paying £10 for a £100 meal but paying £70 as you feel that is what it was worth would be deemed reasonable. You must provide the restaurant with your name and address so they can pursue any outstanding amount if they feel they want to.

Wow....were these the metal sheathed paladin doors, they are fiercely expensive.

No, they were not. They were a solid mahogany. The price includes locks, hinge bolts, London bar and then their painting.
Certainly much more robust than the hollow jobbies that they replaced but a big price, nonetheless.

im with the OP i do think its expensive , and if it was a job they didnt think the insurance would be picking up the bill it would be far less.
Did they try to get in touch with you or source your number from the neighbours before calling this firm out.

You did not request the work. You made no contract with anybody. Somebody else decided to board up your window without your permission and used some company that they desired.

You are not responsible for the bill as far as I can see.

At the end of the day just say you do not have the funds to pay it and let whoever take the lead and see what happens.

they may come to remove the plywood if you dont pay :eek:

Funnily enough, they didn't charge me for materials. Surely they could have tried to extort another £100 for a bit of plywood and 4 nails? :D

However, it did state on the invoice that all materials are still the property of the company until the invoice has been settled!

I wrote them a letter disputing the amount, asking them to justify and have asked them to revise the bill to be in line with what fairly represents the level of work that was actually carried out. If they won't budge, I'll send them a cheque for £150 and see if they accept.

Sponsored Links
Back