My car got broken into!!! what can i do??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car got broken into and is likely to be a write off because of the amount of damage he caused. the good thing is he was caught red handed by the police, so at least he'll have to go to court and hopefully get some time, or community service.

However, Im the victim yet it seems to be me who gets lumbered with all the costs? I dont have a car for work which i need, the police removed the car from the scene so if i dont go throught the insurance it costs me £150 just for that!!! my excess is £120 so the minimum it will cost me even if i go through the insurance is £120. I dont just want to leave it at that I woul LOVE to make the little s**t who did its life miserable for a few months. Id like to sue him and get his Xbox, Mini Moto and anything else the little s**t owns taken from him to pay me compensation.

The question is................. what can i do? or do i just have to pay the excess which is probably bigger than any fine he will get!! ps doubt he works.

Is there any government department i can call on to help me with the excess because literally I havent got a penny to pay this or buy a new car. Im basically fu***d

Sponsored Links
AFAIK If your property has been stolen or damaged as a result of crime you may be entitled to compensation if the case goes to court and the culprit is actually found guilty.

You should keep accurate details of what happened and notes and receipts of any expenses that you have had as a result of the crime.
I think you should also speak to the police that dealt with this saying that you are going to seek compensation - there is probably some official documentation that you will need to complete. I believe that the police will then pass this information on to the court.

Best of luck

Edit: Some basic info here http://www.cjsonline.gov.uk/victim/compensation/

Usually when you make a claim on your car insurance and excess is deducted from the settlement figure so you shouldn't have to actually pay out anything in hard cash/cheque.
i.e. Insurance decides to award you £3000 they deduct £120 excess so you get £2,880.
Does your insurance include legal advice? If so then use it, you have paid for it in your premiums.

Good luck.

You can sue anyone for any amount, loss of earnings, hurt feelings, anything really, just got to justify it, mind you the scrote probably hasn't got a penny so may well be all academic.

Sponsored Links
If history repeats itself it will probably go something like this.

Scrote goes to court, gets found guilty, no custodial sentence, community service probably.

You sue scrote and it is found in your favour and an amount is awarded to you, scrote asks for a means test and is then ordered to pay you £1 per month (or some ridiculous sum :evil: ) scrote pays first 3 months and then doesn't bother, by this time you are so pi**ed off with the whole system that you can't be ar**ed to push it any further.

Get on to your insurance company and explain your lack of funds and see what they will do for you.

Good luck mate, try not to let it ruin your day too much.

A few years back a couple of drunks vandalised 2 cars of ours which for some reason we had parked in the street. The police woke me at 2 in the morning to tell me that they had got the guys and needed a figure that would cover the cost of making good to the wipers and mirrors of both cars. I hadn't a clue but Mrs B (who hadn't a clue either), suggested a figure of £400. A few weeks later the guys appeared in court and we were awarded about £450. One paid half of that on the spot and the other paid £20 a week.The actual repairs cost a good bit less.

The main thing was that I played no part in the proceedings.

scrote is mysteriously bottled one evening and becomes yet another crime number due to the inadequacies of the judicial system.

IIRC, the guy will be charged with something like "damaging the car without lawful authority or permission", so you will have to give a statement to the effect that you did not give him permission and the damage (ie your loss) amounts to £x amount.

Don't forget to include all you loses - eg the excess, hire car fees, expenses etc

If you don't get the costs back in the criminal court, then take out a civil claim in the county court, and if need be get it enforced with bailiffs if you win and he does not pay.

Because only one in 30 are ever caught the chances are he has no previous form for this offence.

In that case he will just get a caution.

You will have to fight the police even for his name and address.

Then you can take him to court and will probably get judgement but he will never pay. The court application will be about £60.

Thats the dreadful world we live in and the people who have control ( poleticians and do gooders ) dont seem to understand the real world!

Tony

PS Just how was he ever arrested by the police? They usually dont want to get involved!

you will never be happy, you have too many problems,

a fair impression of an unemployed and psychic dear deirdre but wrong im afraid. keep reading your 10p TV mags for hints in between your cans of spesh.

Sponsored Links
Back