Police enforcement on tv shows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What i dont get is how come the police dont prosecute drivers who are shown on tv shows breaking speed limits, overtaking on double whites etc.
Surely there is irrefutable evidence on these persistent offenders.. i'm talking about programmes like that one on bbc this evening. Road Rage School
I know other countries can.. like that jap bloke who videoed himself doing 200mph+
any ideas?
:?:

Sponsored Links
There were complaints about a TV programme where some TV presenter was driving around the UK in a Land Rover, and he took his hands off the wheel to gesticulate whilst driving.

Perhaps if the police started doing that then they would also be called to order regarding all the bad practice you see on the Police camera-style programmes. Police cars speeding without blues, reckless manoeuvres etc.

a police car doesnt need to have blue lights on to exceed the speed limit, its an additional risk taken on by the driver but in certain circumstances it is necessary, ie not to alert an offender

Spose not.

But you do occasionally see them doing silly stuff, like in "Street Crime UK 4" where a policeman tried to take a corner way too fast in a van and understeered into the kerb. I would call that driving without due care and attention, as he either neglected to take into account the conditions of the road (if it was wet), or he didn't pay attention to the fact he was driving a van so thought he would be able to corner adequately at that speed.

Sponsored Links
its a bit of red mist really, too desperate to get the bloke, adrenalin running and bang. still easy to sit on the 9 o'clock jury

Red mist... so not in full control of oneself. ;)

I think the point is, if the Police started prosecuting people purely on the evidence of a TV programme (might be hard to make it stand up in court, seeing as they weren't at the scene!), then they would be exposing themself to calls to discipline/prosecute their officers for their own slip-ups.

Also the "better things to do with their time" argument might come up: if they don't have the manpower to prosecute an uninsured taxi driver within 6 months of rear-ending my car, in front of 2 independent witnesses, then surely they don't have the manpower to prosecute someone for driving badly on TV.

Back