Polished Porcelain Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've decided to re-tile our bathroom and have been looking at some polished porcelain tiles from a company called Far Eastern European Trading (FEET) in Rotherhithe in London. They are very cheap for tiles and granite work surfaces by the way.

Anyhow - the tiles are quite big 600x600mm and thick (about 8mm). The guy in the shop reckoned I could cut them with a normal tile cutter - the ones with the little wheel that scores the tile which you then snap.

I'm not convinced that this will work - does anyone have experience with this type of tile? Also I will need to cut holes and slots to get around pipework - can anyone advise the best way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.........

Sponsored Links
Cutting holes in porcerlain requires a water cooled drilling rig....
very expensive.
Even putting up a loo roll holder will be difficult.

They can be cut with a manual tile cutter but to get one to take that sixe of tile you will need a large pro one that will cost £150+ for something like a Rubi. It also takes quite a bit of effort to snap something this big, cheap cutters will just bend.

You would be better off getting an electric wet cutter, a mid range Plasplug would do for one job, and allow you to do slots, L shaped cuts and rectangular cutouts. If you want round holes then diamond core drills are needed.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I should be able to live with rectangular cutouts - not sure how I would cut them with a cutter though.

The guy in the shop said that a wet electric cutter is not suitable so I'm off to quiz him again.

Once again thanks..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back