Poll - Ring final circuits with high integrity earthing

Do you agree, or not, that the below would be compliant as a high integrity earthing system?

• Total voters
You might well be right that they put "PE" after the wrong entry in Part 2. However, unless/until they change/correct that, we would probably cause even more confusion if we didn't stick with what the regs "actually say" about the abbreviations.
I appreciate the comment about "actually say" but in this case it is just wrong and not an interpretation of meaning. ... Apart from the fact that PE not an abbreviation for two words beginning with P and C, a protective conductor is not even protective earthing when it is a bonding conductor. ... So just wrong.
All true, but that doesn't alter the correctness of BAS's view that, strictly speaking, one has no choice but to adhere to what rules/regulations/laws etc. "actually say", even if they are (or one believes them to be) "just wrong" (or 'unintended').

Were that not the case, I doubt that much, if any, of this protracted discussion would ever have arisen - it is, after all, the view of myself and many others that some parts of 543, particularly parts of 543.7, as written, are "just wrong" (not "as intended") but, as BAS says, strictly speaking, one has no choice but to comply with what they "actually say".
I was being a bit sarcastic when asking where it says 'redundancy' because Simon kept using the word yet asking where in the reg. it says 'ring' when that was one of the conditions.
I realise that, but thought it appropriate to remind everyone that, even if the regs don't use the word(s), redundancy of paths to earth is essentially what most of 543.7 is about.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All true, but that doesn't alter the correctness of BAS's view that, strictly speaking, one has no choice but to adhere to what rules/regulations/laws etc. "actually say", even if they are (or one believes them to be) "just wrong" (or 'unintended').
There is nothing to adhere to; it is either a spelling mistake or a misplacement.

This protracted discussion is due to a disagreement about which part of a lengthy regulation is the mistake.

This protracted discussion is due to a disagreement about which part of a lengthy regulation is the mistake.
Indeed. However, even if the discussion had reached a consensus view about which part of the regulation was 'the mistake', BAS would still be strictly correct in saying that, unless/until the mistake were corrected, someone wanting to be BS7671-compliant would have to abide by what it currently "actually says".

It is perhaps a time to repeat (at risk of BAS saying things about my "not caring a jot about regulations") that, unlike legislation etc., compliance with BS7671 is not mandatory, and therefore at least the likes of BAS and myself are not obliged to comply with "what it actually says" (it may be different for Scheme members, whose scheme membership requires them to comply). Hence, if people like BAS and myself believed that some parts of the regs were 'a mistake' (not written such as to reflect what was intended and/or what would be electrically reasonable), we would be free to deviate from BS7671 and, instead, to rely on an electrical argument as to why what we had done was reasonable/acceptable. You might not have that option.

Kind Regards, John

There is the point that, with so few notifiable works, even scheme members could adopt your position.

Sponsored Links
There is the point that, with so few notifiable works, even scheme members could adopt your position.
Oh, fair enough. I suspected (seemingly incorrectly) that the Schemes might require their members to undertake all of their work strictly in compliance with what BS7671 "actual says", whether it were notifiable or not.

Having said that, what we are discussing would presumably most commonly arise in relation to the installation of a 'new circuit', so would be notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

So we have two radials, lets assume wired in T&E, and by choice or design we arrange for the last devices to be in close proximity so we can easily just drop a bit of earth wire between them.
Do we now agree that both radials (subject to separate terminations etc) now meet the requirements for HI earthing ? And that this has a single ring of protective conductors from the MET, via all the accessories, and back to the MET ?
I agree that it meets the requirements for HI earthing for radials, not rings.
OK, so lets take a look at that. To start with, we have two radial circuits, something like this ;
High Integrity Earthing 1.jpeg

Following 543.7.2.201(ii)(c) we link terminal AA to terminal BB and get this :
High Integrity Earthing 2.jpeg

Now you've agreed that this meets all the requirements of the regulations, so therefore it must meet 543.7.1.203 and presumably (given the context) specifically 543.7.1.203(iii). So I therefore assume you are counting path a-A as one PE (as well as the cpc for that radial), and path AA-BB-B-b as the second PE ?

Is that correct, or did you have something else in mind ?

Indeed, but you were only able to make that comment because you chopped the quote in the middle of my sentence, which went on to say "...the only way that it could comply with 543.7.1.203, would be via (iii)".
I chopped it because it is important to stress the point that "...the only way that it could comply with 543.7.1.203, would be via (iii)" does not mean that (i) or (ii) are not valid alternatives.

I say that because, in most situations (certainly domestic ones), (iv) and (iv) are not realistic options
I agree. But it's also important to stress the point that the Regulations are not written to apply only to domestic situations.

"unless one uses (i) or (ii), it essentially has to be (iii)
And unless one uses (i) or (iii), it essentially has to be (ii)

Oh - hang on - I forgot unless one uses (ii) or (iii), it essentially has to be (i).

which, as you go on to say, you feel cannot be satisfied by a single CPC ring.
I wonder why I feel that?

Could it be because 543.7.1.203(iii) says "two individual"?

So that brings me back to asking what 543.7.2.201(ii)(a) is all about. Given that you don't feel it can comply with (iii) and given that (iv) and (v) will not usually be realistic options, do you really believe that the radial with a single CPC ring it relates to is only acceptable if wired in 10mm² (or protected 4mm²) cable?
Why should I not, as that's what it says?

What is daft about that is that a radial without it's CPC arranged as a ring would seemingly be compliant if it's CPC were 10mm² (or protected 4mm²) - so what is 543.7.2.201(ii)(a) (or, come to that, any of 543.7.2) usefully saying?
543.7.1 & 543.7.2 have to cover all sorts of circuits, some socket ones, some not. All sorts of environments - domestic, commercial, industrial. Radials. Rings.

Not every compliant solution is going to be the most appropriate for all situations, so if making the CPC of a radial circuit a ring confers no advantages, don't do it. Simples.

They probably could usefully merge 543.7.1 & 543.7.2. But they haven't.

I suppose that's not far off a statement of my position. For example, as above, since none of 543.7.2 appears to really achieve anything (that wouldn't be achieved without it, since it is all prefaced by a requirement to comply with 543.7.1), I certainly "have problems in determining what they actually mean"
Being redundant (ha ha) does not equate to being wrong.

even though I have my own ideas about what it may have been trying to say/achieve.
I'm sure you do, and we all know you are not alone, nor in the minority.

But very early on, and consistently, and repeatedly I have pointed out that your ideas are not what the Regulations say. Nor are they an authoritative amendment to what they say.

Now you've agreed that this meets all the requirements of the regulations, so therefore it must meet 543.7.1.203 and presumably (given the context) specifically 543.7.1.203(iii). So I therefore assume you are counting path a-A as one PE (as well as the cpc for that radial), and path AA-BB-B-b as the second PE ?

Just to add a bit, considering the other radial, b-B is one PE (while also being the cpc for the radial), a-A-AA-BB is the other PE.
So again meeting the requirements of 543.7.1.203(iii) ?

I suppose that's not far off a statement of my position. For example, as above, since none of 543.7.2 appears to really achieve anything (that wouldn't be achieved without it, since it is all prefaced by a requirement to comply with 543.7.1), I certainly "have problems in determining what they actually mean"
Being redundant (ha ha) does not equate to being wrong.
No, it doesn't. However, even if their ability to write clearly (or write what they intended to write) may sometimes be in doubt, we are talking about a group of far-from-stupid people and it is almost inconceivable that they would have written a whole section which they all knew was redundant. I therefore can but presume that 543.2.201 means, or is intended to mean, something other than what it appears to say.

Kind Regards, John

We are talking about a group of far-from-stupid people and it is almost inconceivable that they would have written a whole section which does not mean what it says and does not say what they mean.

Basically your position seems to be "I don't think that the regulations mean what they actually say, and therefore I have problems in determining what they actually mean."
I suppose that's not far off a statement of my position.
I'm glad about that, as I thought it was when I wrote that.

But it's a position which you have deliberately chosen to put yourself in. This is not a case of you not being able to do what the regulations say - it's not like a "non-flammable" CU, it is simply a case of you not wanting to do what they say, so you start down the road of assumptions, and interpretations, and intents, and then find yourself in difficulties.

Even if some regulations appear redundant, and introduce no novel requirements, even if the path through a number of them to arrive at the consolidated, end-to-end requirement is winding, tortuous even, the fact is you can do what the regulations actually say.

You've decided you don't want to.

We are talking about a group of far-from-stupid people and it is almost inconceivable that they would have written a whole section which does not mean what it says and does not say what they mean.
As I implied, although that obviously shouldn't happen, I believe that such an 'error in writing' is far more likely than that they deliberately wrote a whole section which they all knew was redundant, and hence unnecessary.

Kind Regards, John

Just to add a bit, considering the other radial, b-B is one PE (while also being the cpc for the radial), a-A-AA-BB is the other PE.
So again meeting the requirements of 543.7.1.203(iii) ?
So, does anyone have any objection to that interpretation ? I assume not since no-one has objected yet.

OK, so you are saying that path a-A and path b-B-BB-AA do not constitute separate PEs ?
In that case, assuming the radials don't comply with 543.7.1.203 (i), (ii), (iv), (v) - how does the arrangement meet 543.7.1.203 as BAS has said he believes it does ?

And now to Simon, and his tedious accusations of avoidance, evasion, diversionary tactics, changing the subject etc.

The point I have been trying to make is that just because a question appears on the face of it to be simple, and just because you say it has a simple answer, or a choice of a small number of simple answers, that might not be the case.

The question “When did you stop beating your wife?” is, in terms of grammar, the subject it’s examining, the words that it is using pretty simple. A child could understand it, and could understand that the answer required is a date, either absolute (an actual calendar date) or relative, e.g. a number of days/weeks/months/years/whatever ago.

In terms of grammar, the subject it’s examining, the words that it is using, the answer it requires, it is just as simple, straightforward, easy etc as

When did you last go to the cinema?” or “When did you stop going to the gym?”.

But as all of us, or possibly almost all of us, realise, “When did you stop beating your wife?” is not a question you can answer with a date. And it doesn’t matter how many times I tell you that you can.

Maybe you really don’t get that, or maybe you do, but don’t want to admit it.

But I’ll let you into a little secret – nobody believes you when you say that I’m using diversionary tactics when I try to get you to grasp the concept that just because a question appears on the face of it to be simple, and just because you say it has a simple answer, or a choice of a small number of simple answers, that might not be the case.

The reason that question can’t be answered is because it is based on a false assumption. And that concept is relevant to all of this because you are making assumptions which might be false.

When you asked the analogous question about power supply modules, you complained that my answer was “As expected, diversionary tactics. Avoiding the question asked by answering a different one”. But it wasn’t – it was another attempt to get you to see that if you make assumptions they might be wrong, and the question you’re asking cannot be answered as you claim it can, or doesn’t actually work as an analogy.

For sure, if you know that the requirement for power module redundancy is N+1, then when N=1 you need 2, and when N=2 you do indeed need 3. But what if the requirement really is 2N? (As it might well be – the example I gave you was a real one).

If all you have is an example where N=1 and there are 2 you cannot tell from that if the redundancy requirement is N+1 or 2N – they look the same. So if you don’t know, and assume it’s N+1 and you are wrong in that assumption, the requirement when N=2 is not 3, it is 4.

If all you have is an example where N=1 and there are 3, does that mean that the requirement is 3N, or 2N+1? You don’t know. When N becomes 2 does the requirement become 6 or 5?. You don’t know.

Why is this relevant?

Because you don’t know what the “redundancy” requirements are for a HI protective connection for a ring final. You are making assumptions based on a theory of yours about what they are, and extrapolating to a solution which might be wrong.

You don’t know that the requirement is not that whatever happens to one of the “two individual protective conductors”, there will still be a protective conductor left which still has all of the redundancy that the protective conductor of a ring final would have if there were no HI requirements. In short, you don’t know that the requirement is not 2N.

Finally, and staying with what the regulations “say”, we come to your assertion that “If you cannot highlight the word "ring" in that text then regulation 543.7.1.203(iii) does not require the PEs to be rings. There may be another eg which does - but it's not 543.7.1.203(iii)”

I note that you have avoided answering my question on that by the simple tactic of just ignoring it. I won’t revisit it, but I will ask you another one.

Let’s take the scenario where you’ve installed a circuit with HIE – ring or radial, it doesn’t matter, and you’ve done it with whatever number/size/shape/etc CPC(s) you think is/are needed, that doesn’t matter either – the only assumption I’m making is that you want to comply with BS 7671, and you’re happy that what you do complies.

So the question is:

For your CPC(s), what colour sleeving or other markers will you use to identify it/them, throughout its/their length and/or at the terminations, and why?

So there’s that one I’d like you to answer, and the one “When did you stop beating your wife?”, or with that one you could say that you now do get the point about “simple” questions not always having a simple answer.

Now, I can’t demand you answer my questions, any more than you can demand I answer yours, so if you choose to ignore those, there’s nothing I can do, but in that case I’ll probably decide to ignore all of yours.

Or you could try again with your accusations of avoidance, evasion, diversionary tactics, changing the subject etc, but I don’t think you’ll find many people agreeing with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back