pond pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone ever installed a pond pump if os how?i am a second year electrician so i have knowledge but would like some advise on the best way to do it thanks

Sponsored Links
plug it in? (rcd protected socket)

( i am being serious)

if you mean about the supply to it thats a differnt question

If you have a RCD protected external socket in place already, you can just go and buy a submersible pump and follow the instructions. As Breezer says, you just plug it in.

ok thanks and can i supply the rcd outdoor socket from an indoor socket?in otherwards loop it from the indoor socket?also i wanna be able to turn the pump off from inside?

Sponsored Links
Is your indoor socket circuit already protected by RCD? Please note that installing an outdoor socket is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs England/Wales.

nicocahill said:
the indoor socket is protected by an rcd at the consumer unit

Spark123 said:
Please note that installing an outdoor socket is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs England/Wales.

But its still outside

well if i lopp off the indoor socket into a fused spur unit and out of that into an rcd protected outdoor socket,is this ok?and does it mean i can turn the pump off from inside my house?thanks for all your help

nicocahill said:
well if i lopp off the indoor socket into a fused spur unit and out of that into an rcd protected outdoor socket,is this ok?and does it mean i can turn the pump off from inside my house?thanks for all your help

breezer said:
But its still outside

nicocahill said:
what you mean its still outside?

the new socket is not inside the house agreed? (yes)

so there fore it must be outside, which is where you said it was going to be, there fore despite what wiring configuration you do, its still outside (so notifiable under part p)

now i get you yes thats exactly it and i know its notifiable but would that wiring configuration be suitable?excuse my ignorance

nicocahill said:
now i get you yes thats exactly it and i know its notifiable but would that wiring configuration be suitable?excuse my ignorance

but i thought you said

nicocahill said:
i am a second year electrician

so what are they teaching you?

look at it this way, forget its going to have a pump, treat it like say an external socket that you want to be able to switch on and off from inside (but not forgetting part p)

A FCU fed from the ring to feed the socket will be fine.
This will allow you to switch the socket on and off from inside.

Also as the socket you will be spurring from is RCD protected, there is no need to fit an RCD socket outside. A standard external socket will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back