Pond Pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much use is a foam filter in a pond pump? Would it not just get clogged up very quickly and need replacing ridiculously often? and for a small pond is a 70w pump not a bit excessive?

Sponsored Links
What the Sam Hill has this to do with Electrical matters?

Go find a pond pump forum. Or try in the garden forum.

to clarify my mother has bought a 65w pump with a foam filter system and i think i should return it and get something more suitable

Sponsored Links
to clarify my mother has bought a 65w pump with a foam filter system and i think i should return it and get something more suitable

I haven't seen any submersibles without a filter, so I'm not sure what you expect to change it for. The wattage depends on what exactly you intend to achieve with the pump. Generally, assuming efficiency doesn't vary wildly between pumps, more watts = more litres per minute. I used to have a Blagdon submersible pump that consumed about 40w as part of a water feature, and I was never really 100% satisfied with it.

pond pumps require electrical installation dont they?

Oh yes they do.
Doesn't every electrician carry a stock of foam filters and pvc tubing with them in case they need to attend to a blocked pond pump??

Good grief.

Look. Most electricians don't mend vacuum cleaners, or non-functioning SKY boxes or fix dynamos on bicycles. They all are related to electricity but it isn't our prime function.

If you ask questions in the right place then you get responses from people who are knowledgeable about the subject. To ask about pond pump filters here will only get guesses.

I've been stuffed in a poky attic today with only 50 years worth of spiders webs and wasps for company. I'll be better after this glass of Merlot.....

:evil:

ok, its an O/T topic, the foam filter is there as part of the filtration to host bacteria, the good kind that help keep your pond clear...

same principal as an aquarium filter, just bigger

Hang on, hang on, the "FILTER" atached to most pond pumps, is NOT a filter. It is a STRAINER. It is there to catch any large pieces of debris before they enter the pump and wreck the delicate parts within.

I have a pond, and have to clean the strainer every few weeks during summer, though it will last November to April without cleaning it. While the pump is out, I clean the impeller assy too.

The STRAINER is there IN ADDITION TO a SEPERATE FILTER, which is piped after the pump outlet. There are many types of filter available, the most common being an all-in-one solution, containing mechanical, biological and UV filtration in one box.

One can also purchase PREFILTERS, which REPLACE the STRAINER. You might notice the pump has a connection on its inlet, which normally hides in the strainer. This is for the prefilter. But prefilters are relatively uncommon.

In the past I did get fed up with cleaning the strainer in the pump, and replaced it with two pond plant pots (the type with many many small holes in), tie-wrapped together with holes cut out for the pipes and wire. Never needed cleaning :LOL: But was a b****r when it came to cleaning the impellor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back