Pond Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unusual request for help but here goes...

I want to build a pond waterfall - the fibre glass one keeps growing algi which I cannot seem to shift so am thinking of building one...anyone does this before and is it easy...how did it cost and does it last?? Pond is approx 3M x 2.6M X 1M deep...

...any ideas or guidance how I can get rid of the algi??

thx in advance...
V

Sponsored Links
my waterfall on my pond is made from slate and natural rock
but still grows a certain amount of algae.

i use clarosan if algae gets to bad with the hot weather but it is now illegal
and not sold.

thanks - that is my concern, no point spending time on another one if they will end the same...just looked at the net and apparently hay can stop the algae so will try that now...
thx again...

Sponsored Links
a UV and good filteration are always useful, but realistically it won't completely get rid of the problem, and the best solution is regular maintenance, which means getting your hands dirty.
If the pond is in sunlight for long periods this is also a big problem and some well positioned shrubs might be useful.
You can try some treatments, some are more effective than others, Kusuri are a good brand for pond treatments.

as mickyg it comes down to a few factors.

the first few years i had bad blanket weed etc and it blocked both 4" bottom drains.
but now the filters are matured and oversized for the pond/fish blanket weed is a thing of the past.
i still get slight algae around the edge and waterfall which isn't a problem
and water is clear right to the bottom.

As already mentioned, very good filtration is the key. It takes time and a bit of trial and error to get the water quality you want.

A little algae around the edges wont be a problem. I am looking at installing a 'Blade' water fall (stainless steel) on my pond .

I've almost completed my new pond so I will be going through the usual water tests for next couple of months :cry:

Cloverleaf is excellent for blanket weed i have never found anything like it.

Plants in pond take up nutrients that blanket weed/algae use so get planting.

Putting soil based plants close to waterfall to create shade will help.

U.V and a filter that is the CORRECT size for your pond will help like others have said.

The best thing you can do is get the waterfall in shade.

Also i do have the blagdon electronic blanket weed controller on our pond and it does work.

One of the most important things i have found is get a filter that is over sized for your pond,you cant get enough filtration.

One of the most important things i have found is get a filter that is over sized for your pond,you cant get enough filtration.

as you say you won't if you go mad with the filters just for a few gold fish.

but if you work out your galls and your amount of fish depending what you want to keep you can get a size allow that bit extra without being to extra if you get what i mean.
and getting your flow turnover right will also help your filters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back