poor workmanship

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
I am sure you all get fed up of these scenarios. Salesman promise you the moon and your project will be the best in the world.
Brickwork on my project is poor, chipped bricks ,poor mortar lines.Some brickwork has no mortar between them.
Other trades who have attended project have been great.
Project manager has stated to my partner " well the brickwork is better than your house" Our house is 1959 construction a very dismissive attitude, by manager.
Who should I approach who will carry out an independent survey on the work so far ?
I have attempted to speak with supervisor of company.... never replies.
Some remedial work has been carried out, but it is now becoming a patchwork quilt look.
Advice please thanks scooterman

Sponsored Links
Don't pay them. Tell them you'll meet them in court.

and the project manager by the sound of it. got any photos

Sponsored Links
The quality of the original brickwork on your house has nothing to do with it; tell them to stop, that you want the faulty workmanship put right & refuse to pay any more money until it is. If the supervisor won’t listen, try going to someone more senior preferable a Director (if that’s possible). If still no joy, write to them stating your concerns, the dates you’ve asked them to put things right & their lack of suitable remedial action; give them a reasonable date by which to put things right & advise them if this is not done you will get independent assessment on the quality of the work & will seek recovery of costs you incur putting it right. You could also try approaching any trade group (if any) they are a member of - i.e. guild of master builders etc. (check their advert or trade listing for info), & try trading standards as they may have other reports of bad workmanship. This may have an imediate effect but if it doesn't, it can be long haul; it depends how much you still owe them, the larger the amount the more it tends to sharpen the interest! As suggested by others, post some pics if you can .

It’s important all times that you don’t get annoyed, act reasonably, put everything in writing & send it recorded delivery; this will also send a clear message that you will not be fobbed off.

joe-90 said:
Don't pay them. Tell them you'll meet them in court.

I will endeavour to have this sortted out before court
Thanks for advice
scooterman

Many thanks for advice.
As of writing this reply letter and pictures have been supplied to manager. He contacted me and has assurred me all matters will be rectified.
A workman did show up and completed another task, but NOT the brickwork issue.
Trading standards advised me to go to council planner.....no replyfrom council.
I have written to company that work must be completed within seven days.
I await companys reply.
Re pictures I will post when matter has been resolved.
My wife is now ill with worry. Neighbours very supportive. Will keep you all updated. SCOOTERMAN :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back