Separated and Eroded Mortar: Concerning, or just in need of some repointing / TLC?

26 Apr 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here after a bunch of research and probably going a bit stir crazy.

We're scoping out some projects for our 1970s mid-terrace townhouse, which had me looking at the walls. I've noticed a few issues, which I'm hoping are just normal ageing for a near 50 year old house and rectified simply with some repointing. This fine forum's expertise would be appreciated, though.

Beneath Front Door

This one was identified in our structural survey when we moved in a couple of years ago, so hoping given an expert's eyes have made comment it's the least likely issue to be anything major. One thing I did note is that in specific sections, a 15 cm paper straw can be pushed all the way under.

"However, it was noted that the pointing to the brickwork below damp proof course at the front of the property has eroded where it would appear that rainwater splashing onto the walls from the adjacent hardstandings. We would recommend that the brickwork below the damp proof course be repointed as part of routine maintenance"


Single Mortar Gap/Crack Upper Floor Below Roof Boundary



Rear Aspect Erosion in Two Sections


It's hard to find a good builder round here (home counties) who doesn't cost an arm and a leg, so as said a bit of advice would be appreciated. If it is just repointing, how much should I be paying? The one quote I've had so far has been £400-500, which seems obscene compared to online guidelines of £30-£60 /sq.m.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local