Poorly wired kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So bought our first home and our mid term intent is to replace the kitchen but slightly concerned with the wiring in the kitchen at the moment. The flat was built in 2002 and the kitchen put in in 2014.

The washing machine and dishwasher flank the sink and are plugged into a double gang socket thats under the sink attached to the cabinate wall. The microwave is plugged into a socket thats attached to the wall of the cabinate above. There's a large whole in the back of the cabinate, where the wire for the socket comes through, and I can see several wires "hanging" there... I assume they are to do with the LED lighting, the socket for the Fridge (which is not on the main ring) and possibly the cookerhood. I say possibly because in the 4 weeks we've been there we cannot find where the powerswitch to the cookerhood is... its not in the flanking cupboards, above them nor in the hood itself so at the moment its decorative only.

Are any of these a significant concern/ breach in code etc? Any clues on how to get the cookerhood on also appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
pics.gif

In the meantime.....Cooker hood may be powered from an FCU. Look for something like this. Note: a blown lamp in the cooker hood may have popped the fuse in the FCU, so check them!

AA13SCF.JPG

In the meantime.....Cooker hood may be powered from an FCU. Look for something like this. Note: a blown lamp in the cooker hood may have popped the fuse in the FCU, so check them!
The only FCU type thing in the kitchen is for the cooker itself (a dual fuel affair). All the other appliances are going into surface mounted regular plug sockets (with the surfaces all being the walls of the cabinates). To date we don't have any unexplained sockets/switches etc but both the lights and fan on the cookerhood is unresponsive.

The three runs of LED lights are powered by two transformers and both connect to a single lightswitch.

Sponsored Links
Does your cooker extractor hood have a vertical section ? The supply socket or connection unit may be in there. As you are planning a new kitchen fit ,any ammendments to the electrics can be done then.

Does your cooker extractor hood have a vertical section ? The supply socket or connection unit may be in there. As you are planning a new kitchen fit ,any ammendments to the electrics can be done then.
It does but its currently sealed in... the vendors unplugged all the other items. I've tried to look up the vertical section by removing the filter and cannot see anything plug like but neither where the wiring exits the chimley.

We will indeed fix the wiring when we replace the kitchen but given thats 12-18months away it'd be good to know we arent living in a death trap now and/or how to get the hood working in the interim.

The first step will be to determine if there is power getting to the hood itself. One of the rare times when a contactless voltage detector is of use.

Could the previous owners be of help?

Appreciate your concern ,but with info you have given theres not much to go on. As said above ,pics may help ,however there is no substitute for an on site inspection. Electric installations cant be tested remotely , why not get an electrician in to put your mind at rest.

Could the previous owners be of help?
My only method of contact is via the solicitors (they have some issues with the estate agents so didnt want to give a forwarding address). We did initially ask them and their response was that all the applicances were plugged in in the cupboards.

I'm not sure they were too handy though, half the LEDs were down leaving the kitchen worksurface dark but that was a simple IR controller to replace and the dryer tripped the earth leak switch and they'd a standalone dryer in the living room but it just needed the heating element changed. The kitchen itself was fitted by the owner before them.

Appreciate your concern ,but with info you have given theres not much to go on. As said above ,pics may help ,however there is no substitute for an on site inspection. Electric installations cant be tested remotely , why not get an electrician in to put your mind at rest.
I appreciate that but if for example putting plug sockets on cabinates under sinks is against regs or best practice it gives me some inclination as to the sort of person who may have done the electrics. If its perfectly acceptable and normal then it maybe me worying about nothing and just coincidence that all prior places we've lived in have had sockets attached to walls with a multi-switch panel for (almost) all appliances

There is no problem with fitting sockets for appliances in base unit cupboards, including under kitchen sinks.

I appreciate that but if for example putting plug sockets on cabinates under sinks is against regs or best practice it gives me some inclination as to the sort of person who may have done the electrics. If its perfectly acceptable and normal then it maybe me worying about nothing and just coincidence that all prior places we've lived in have had sockets attached to walls
It is a bit naff but nothing out of the ordinary and not disallowed if done properly.

with a multi-switch panel for (almost) all appliances
That is much rarer, and in my opinion unnecessary.

My father-in-law died May this year, and his house is just about sold, he was an electrician however at 91 his memory of how things should be wired it seems was lacking looking around the house.

We talked about corrective work, however that would be a can of worms and when does one stop, and it was pointed out new owners should get an EICR done and it should highlight any faults, we had already got into a knot with central heating, before his death a contract was taken out which was transferable. Then we found they wanted a load of work doing before they would honour the contract.

So you should have had an EICR and that should say if there is anything that requires doing, clearly you have to get the report as only that way do you know it is genuine. I could although I wouldn't have written a report for my father-in-laws house, but would you be satisfied with a report from sellers husband? Or for that matter his circle of friends? It has to be commissioned by you the buyer.

If that report says there are problems, and it would be unusual for nothing to be found, then it is time to ask on these pages about how dangerous it really is, years ago we were allowed knife switches with exposed live parts, so simply saying it complied with a previous edition or wiring regulations does not help, but since 1966 if the house conformed with regulations then no real problem, the problems are really additions, left as it was in 1966 no problem, but to add just one socket could cost a fortune.

So 2014 is after 2004 so there will be a paper trail, not sure when regulations were relaxed in England, as here in Wales they never were, so here in Wales work in a kitchen is notifiable so LABC should be able to tell you what has been done. Think April 2013 it was relaxed so now need to tell LABC if:-
  • circuit alteration or addition in a special location*
  • installation of one or more new circuits
  • installation of a replacement consumer unit (fuse box)
  • rewire of all circuits
  • partial rewire
  • new full electrical installation (new build)
So likely there should be paper work some where.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back