POP! I have learnt a lesson!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today, I went round to change the pullcord in my sisters new house which was faulty(been dismantled by someone and not put together properly and wouldn't work after).

I switched the mains off when unscrewing the cover from this switch,had to go out and buy another.

Put old switch back turned power back on, went out came back, started to take the old one down and I cut the end of the cable to nice fresh wire..POP! (MCB tripped though)I only forgot to turn the power back off!! what an idiot...

Mind you, most people I know who do electrical work have done this at some point.

Sponsored Links
I would guess similar has happened to most who carry out electrical work for a living. Replacing £25 side cutters after the event gives the biggest jolt though!

I remember once stripping the outer sheath off a live cable using a metal bodied stanley knife. Luckilly I remembered that the power was still on before I started stripping the inner cores.

Sponsored Links
I got caught out a few years ago.

I was working in an office corridor. I had been sent to replace some old fittings with new fluorescents.

When I turned up the corridor was in darkness, so I assumed the lights were switched off.

I whipped the old fitting down, and fixed the new fitting up. When I started wiring it up, the striiped ends were a little too long for the new connectors, so I snipped the ends off with my cutters.

Thats about the time I realised that all the bulbs in the corridor had gone, and I needed to buy a new pair of side cutters.

I was perhaps the wakeup call I needed. I had not been working on my own very long, and had got a little complacent.

You'd be amazed quite how often I prove dead, and lock off these days. I haven't had a shock or blown up a pair of cutters since (touch wood), so it seems to be a good habit to be in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back