Possible Speeding Ticket

I got done off a mobile unit for doing 74 in my van on an empty dual carriageway in the middle of nowhere.

Meanwhile there are dicks doing 50 past schools and not a speed camera van to be seen.

Yes I am bitter, they should put them where they would help not where they will make the most Wonga.

Sponsored Links
I got done off a mobile unit for doing 74 in my van on an empty dual carriageway in the middle of nowhere.

Meanwhile there are dicks doing 50 past schools and not a speed camera van to be seen.

Yes I am bitter, they should put them where they would help not where they will make the most Wonga.

What was the speed limit on the dual carriageway for your van? 60mph?

Meanwhile, I have just driven back from the dordogne.
80 mph on their motorway (which is our dual carriageway).
And, no lane closure / speed restriction, for the gully sweeper that was cleaning the central gutter.

I did over a thousand miles, and not a hint of bother.
Back in Portsmouth, however:
On the way out, almost hit by three children (too young to be youths), all on the same motorbike, with no helmets on. Saturday morning, town centre.
On the way back around 2300, gawping lackwit was hogging the middle lane within ten minutes of leaving the port: rolling on and off their accelerator, and generally p!ssing me (in the inside lane) off.
Then, a34 closed at Oxford.
Then, m42 down to 50, despite it being empty.
Then, toll road down to hard shoulder only, for an army of vehicles to piddle about (it's a fairly new, lightly-used motorway, so why?)

What a faff about this country is......

What was the speed limit on the dual carriageway for your van? 60mph?

Yes. I’m guilty as charged but still feel hard done by.

I wondered when the 60mph rule was intrudiced and what the stopping distance of a new van, at the time, would be compared to my new Renault Master.

Sponsored Links
Ian,
I think it has been around for a while, but it should be noted that in 2005 there was a lot of 'confusion' on this rule so assume not likely to have been used by the police then:
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2005/7/28/confusion-over-van-speed-limits/19980/

It is shown clearly in the rules dated 2015:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-a-van#speed-limits

There was then a big push in 2017 to promote this rule to van drivers:
https://www.bigvanworld.co.uk/blog/speed-limit-rules-for-vans-and-commercial-vehicles/

SFK

Last edited:
Ian,
Actually I think a lot of people do not know about this rule. And that it also covers Camper Vans and I also believe PickUp Trucks if loaded above certain weight.
SFK

It is odd given that a coach built motorhome, which is a van with a caravan glued on is still allowed to do 70mph.

So you were doing 74 in a 60. If the rule applies then its 68mph being the point at which they will fine you? Assuming the speedometer reads slightly faster than the actual speed then I suppose if you were going 70mph you may have been ok.

Did you do a course or take the points?

Meanwhile, I have just driven back from the dordogne.
80 mph on their motorway (which is our dual carriageway).
And, no lane closure / speed restriction, for the gully sweeper that was cleaning the central gutter.

I did over a thousand miles, and not a hint of bother.
Back in Portsmouth, however:
On the way out, almost hit by three children (too young to be youths), all on the same motorbike, with no helmets on. Saturday morning, town centre.
On the way back around 2300, gawping lackwit was hogging the middle lane within ten minutes of leaving the port: rolling on and off their accelerator, and generally p!ssing me (in the inside lane) off.
Then, a34 closed at Oxford.
Then, m42 down to 50, despite it being empty.
Then, toll road down to hard shoulder only, for an army of vehicles to piddle about (it's a fairly new, lightly-used motorway, so why?)

You should drive in the states - they won't unnecessarily close lanes. Granted everyone undertakes because you have drivers in huge pickups who can barely see over the steering wheel and just switch off when they drive.

Sentencing guidelines are tougher for vehicles carrying a load.

So you were doing 74 in a 60. If the rule applies then its 68mph being the point at which they will fine you? Assuming the speedometer reads slightly faster than the actual speed then I suppose if you were going 70mph you may have been ok.

Did you do a course or take the points?

I was given a fine and points, no course offered.

existing points/or previous course? - tbh it was borderline for speed awareness. but it sounds like you were robbed.

Next time offer them a donut.

Wait until notchy sees that :whistle:

But back to the 'possible speeding ticket' topic...

A youngish relative of mine got issued with a speeding ticket, and she is adamant that she was not speeding at that time/place.

She has one of those telematic boxes fitted in order to reduce the ridiculous insurance premiums a bit.

However, on asking for her driving data to be released, she was pointed to a clause in the small print:

"We will not provide you or your representatives with your driving information for use in civil claims or criminal investigations or proceedings."

So whilst they will penalise you for bad driving (by way of higher premiums), the insurance companies won't help you prove your alleged innocence.
Thus giving themselves another opportunity to hit you in the pocket!

Does anyone know if the new GDPR legislation could force disclosure of such data?

Wait until notchy sees that :whistle:

But back to the 'possible speeding ticket' topic...

A youngish relative of mine got issued with a speeding ticket, and she is adamant that she was not speeding at that time/place.

She has one of those telematic boxes fitted in order to reduce the ridiculous insurance premiums a bit.

However, on asking for her driving data to be released, she was pointed to a clause in the small print:

"We will not provide you or your representatives with your driving information for use in civil claims or criminal investigations or proceedings."

So whilst they will penalise you for bad driving (by way of higher premiums), the insurance companies won't help you prove your alleged innocence.
Thus giving themselves another opportunity to hit you in the pocket!

Does anyone know if the new GDPR legislation could force disclosure of such data?

Who owns the data? It might be one for the Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis to get his teeth into.

I assume she was caught by a camera?

Sponsored Links
Back