Bloomin' Speed Cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been flashed by a speed camera facing me. It didn't have those strips on my side on the road, just the other side. Will it still know my speed?

Sponsored Links
Ian
I doubt very much if it caught you.
A camera with a visible flash can only take photo from behind, and you will be passing over the multiple lines when that happens.
If the camera checks speed and takes photo as you approach it ( which means there's a photo of who is driving ), it will have two round lenses, and you won't see a flash because its infra-red. Also you will have passed over two sets of lines each of which is a closely grouped set of three.
These are often angled to check the opposite side of the round, as your camera may have been.
What set it off? could be a bird or perhaps there's a fault.
Incidentally cameras can be turned round (it wasn't like that yesterday ), and allegedly some have a camera on both sides of the housing.

I was caught on a camera head on which DID flash at me. My wife and I were returning from Aylesbury to Maidenhead and between High Wycombe and Aylesbury just as we came into a village called Monks Risborough on the A4010. It was around 02:00 in the morning. Didn't know what the hell it was until the letter through the post. (35 in a 30) SP30 £60 and 3 points :(

It had a purple coloured lens (saw it in the daylight) so I'm afraid I have to disagree with the previous poster as I found out the hard way.

Hope you're OK though.

ian413 said:
I have been flashed by a speed camera facing me. It didn't have those strips on my side on the road, just the other side. Will it still know my speed?

There is a gatso near my parents' house that ONLY flashes oncoming traffic. A friend of my mum got flashed, rung up the police to moan, and was told "don't worry about it madam, that camera has been malfunctioning". Never heard anymore about it. That was 5 years ago, it still does it.

If only the maintenance of all speed cameras could be so lax. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I am sorry to say that there is a new type of speed cameras called a Truvelo. Here is a link to the different types:

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/index1.htm

Although this says that the Truvelo doesn't have a flash, so you may have been lucky and it was someone going the other way ;)

The one that flashed me looked like the Truvelo and the offset window is a purple colour. It definetely flashed me which is interesting as the spiel says they don't. It was at night if that makes any difference.

would a gallon of petrol and an old tyre fix a speed camera ? :eek:

just a thought if all in the uk declared war on these things would they replace them ? :LOL: i bet not

ITS WAR GO GET EM GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I once heard that spraying your reg plate with hairspray makes it unrecognisable by the camera/human looking at pix.

not true i am sorry to say.

to obscure your number plate is against the law, if a number plate is not visible in in the positive, they just look at the negative and hey presto it appears, i have seen it done on tv, they also showed cling film on a number plate, same effect

there are two ways round it, one has to do with the way your number plate is fixed,(but you can get prossecuted for obscuring your number plate) the other is don't speed

using hair spray / cling film, also means you get fined for obsuring your number plate

I also disagree with the other website that says the Truvelo camera uses infra red, the filter is red (infrared filters are dark red, almost black) this is so that you are (as the driver who has just been flashed) not blinded by the white light of a xenon falsh tube, if they didn't have the filter you may claim to have been "temporary blinded" and hit the car in front / pedestrian

Stick false plates on ... What are the fines for that today ? Probably SFA !! Ok, joking !!

burn them all if they arent at schools or well know black spot there should be no mercy for these things

WE ARE A NATION OF SHEEP LETTING THIS HAPPEN

if there a web site to donate a gallon of petrol to those HEROS of the flaming tyre brigade

Sponsored Links
Back