Dodgy speed camera?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever been flashed by a camera when they weren't speeding? Do they sometimes just have "hiccups"?

A few weeks back I was heading into Brighton on the A23/Preston Road, and it's one of those speed cams that if you're local, you know it well and always check your speed - this time was no exception and I was definitely under the 30 limit, but it went off! There was nothing behind me and nothing going in the opposite direction to trigger it.

Anyway, I've been worried about a ticket arriving and wondering how on earth you go about disputing it if the camera claims you were speeding when you know you weren't. As I said, this was a few weeks back (either Friday 7th or 14th, I don't remember) and nothing has come of it so far - do you think I would have heard something by now?

It just seems a peculiar thing to happen...

Sponsored Links
Yeah, had it happen before at well under the limit.

I guess if the ticket came in the post you could contest it, would be easy to figure out the actual speed from the photographic data, hence the dashed lines around the speed camera sites.

Road works on end of M56 Cheshire.

I knew they had them bl**dy yellow boxes on 2 stretches of road works, with a speed limit of 40mph

I was following behind an Audi A4, both of us were doing no more than 25-30 mph.
Would have loved to see Audi drivers face when the camera flashed, yet did not flash me. :LOL: :LOL:

Then again I have heard that some of them are only dummies. :confused:

Wont take a chance though, never know which ones are the money making machines. :evil:

ninebob, yes they do sometimes do that. not all of them have film in. if you were not speeding you wont get done if it went off by accident. If youve got any real concerns phone up the camera unit at hq.

I know the one you mean, dodgy as **** behind the tree on the left!

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever been flashed by a camera when they weren't speeding? Do they sometimes just have "hiccups"?

A few weeks back I was heading into Brighton on the A23/Preston Road, and it's one of those speed cams that if you're local, you know it well and always check your speed - this time was no exception and I was definitely under the 30 limit, but it went off! There was nothing behind me and nothing going in the opposite direction to trigger it.

Anyway, I've been worried about a ticket arriving and wondering how on earth you go about disputing it if the camera claims you were speeding when you know you weren't. As I said, this was a few weeks back (either Friday 7th or 14th, I don't remember) and nothing has come of it so far - do you think I would have heard something by now?

It just seems a peculiar thing to happen...

The one by preston park?

Apparently it sometimes goes off if someone is going too fast the other way!

But don't worry - the paperwork has to arrive within 14 days of the offence anyway..

Then again I have heard that some of them are only dummies
Thermo said:
not all of them have film in
I know it's a real camera because a friend has been "rightfully" caught by it before - hence why I'm always careful when passing it!
ellal said:
don't worry - the paperwork has to arrive within 14 days of the offence anyway.
blondini said:
Speeding or not, if you haven't heard anything within 14 days you should be ok. Clicky http://www.pepipoo.com/NIP.htm[/QUOTE]
Thermo said:
if you were not speeding you wont get done if it went off by accident
Fair enough then, no need for concern - but how would it go off "by accident"?

One flash from the camera its a frightener, 2 flashes its taken a picture, distance covered between flashes gives speed hence lines on road surface. The bas***d ones are the average over a distance. The real bas***d ones are the motorwat gantries with variable speed limits m25 and m42 spring to mind.

ninebob, the cameras take two pictures a fixed duration apart. Markings on the road then show how far the vehicle has travelled in the time between the pics and this proves the speed.

Sometimes they just go bananas and flash at everything.

Are you able to purchase the picture in a variety of frames,sizes and finishes? :D

Sponsored Links
Back