Panic Braking At Gatso's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I was doing a healthy 55-60 on a SC road, speed camera approaching, when the guy in front slammed on the stoppers at the last minute to get down to 30.....Winker!!!!!!!

I think there ought to be reverse-speed cameras, IYKWIM. Anyone flashed doing 30 in a 50/60/70 zone should be hauled in front of the beak.

Sponsored Links
A good example of a supposed safety device that may well have caused a pile up.

I see this happening frequently on 40mph roads. People aren't paying attention, I guess they are used to driving at 40 everywhere so when they see a camera they slow to 30 just in case.

If they paid attention they would know it was a 40 zone!

But in a 60... that is one mucking foron, if he thought it was a 30, why was he driving at 60 in the first place? :rolleyes:

Anything is possible on the road ... Just do not run into the rear of them, I reckon you'll be held to blame .. care and attention .. maintaining gap .. finally 'two wrongs do not make a right..'
Sad but true ..
Enjoy your motoring while you can .. there begins, elsewhere, a lobby to use the 'road charging' equipment to silently monitor speed and punish the slightest transgression .... I am afraid this will gain popularity among non-drivers ... The intelligent throttle stuff remains our best option .. the 'silent monitor and punish' is a nightmare scenario ... but would take drivers off the road in their thousands.
There is also talk of 'dynamic road pricing', whereby, at the limit I guess, your £0.02 country lane suddenly becomes £0.50 ;) congested road, perhaps during roadworks.... What a joke .. Try questioning the bill when it comes in, undoubtedly full of errors.
Drivers ... the end is very much nigh .. And of course the revenue must be replaced so we'll pay whatever / however..

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
what would happen if a child/animal ran out into the path of the car that you was following?the result would have been alot worse.i always leave a gap between me and the car in front.(but this does'nt work when mr pratt cuts me up and squeezes into the gap :evil: :evil: expect the unexpected :confused:

pipme said:
.. there begins, elsewhere, a lobby to use the 'road charging' equipment to silently monitor speed and punish the slightest transgression ....
And rightly so, there are too many people speeding on the roads these days where these averaging systemes will come into their own is capturing those that exceed the limit for a distance rather than those that might accelerate to say overtake and then drop back down below the limit.

'Specs' do the averaging now, GPS allows instant feedback of velocity like constant Gatsometer...

Leeds Uni have been testing a safety system which controls the vehicle's max speed dependant on the current vehicle position with regard to speed limitation .... That is positive and affects everyone so speeding with regard to the limits would disappear.. But not 'inappropriate' speed.

Perhaps the statistical manipulating will be exposed then.

Who really knows what caused the accident ? I bet 'excessive speed' is used as a 'catch all', like house fires where no evidence of cause has been found, being assigned 'electrical fault' ...

:mad:

pipme said:
Leeds Uni have been testing a safety system which controls the vehicle's max speed dependant on the current vehicle position with regard to speed limitation ....

An example, you are on a 60mph country lane. A caravan is dawdling at 45 in front of you. You reach a long straight, boot it to overtake in the shortest possible time, and end up going 70-80 for a few seconds. This is the current scenario. Does this Leeds system allow such "overspeed" for short durations?

As I see it, safety is actually a key issue against speed-limiting. Obviously you should never have a need to overtake a car travelling at the speedlimit or greater, but I can see a few occasions where a short burst of speed would be required:

1) Overtaking on a sc
2) On a motorway, when you are driving alongside a car at an equal speed, but notice an emergency vehicle coming up behind you (they would no doubt be unlimited when blue lights are on) thus need to get past and pull in

Of course, acceleration would not be limited by all this, so driving powerful cars would not become any less popular!

Also, the system needs to be smoother than the rev limiter on all modern engines!

Of course, I think the whole thing is a rather silly idea.

What's all the rush about getting somewhere about anyway?
leave in adequate time for your journey, if you get caught in a jam then you have an excuse for being late, there is NO justification to break the speed limit by that i mean driving any real distance at high speed, the occasional few miles over to manover is ok but once the manouver is over you should reduce the speed back to reasonable limits.after all is isn't that what good driving is all about?

can I just make a point here , round where I live we have all the dual carriageways which were 40/50 gone down to 30 ...they are barrired at the kerb so its NOT ROAD SAFETY

so why are we being stealth taxed ..lets take to the streets in a crawl around police stations til they realise WHO PAYS THEIR WAGES

in other places they secretly change the speed limit even tho legally its 30. i.e a street with no schools about. they put speeds ramps in that you have to take at less than 15. so slowing the traffic to half os susposed to help?

also 20 zones outside of schools. they are wrong. fair enough reducing traffic to 20MPH when there will be school children about. that i have no problem with. but what i do have the problem with is why should i have to go at 20MPH in a clear open area when the school is closed. i.e 9PM when im returning home. all this is doing is adding to the trffic problem

if anything, they should be timed. 20MPH school days between 7.30AM and 5PM. 30MPH at all other times

another example of bad roads. there is a dual carriage way near me which i avoid like the plague. why? because its a by-pass. you kno, the type wih traffic lights every 100-200 metre. get stuck in one you get stuck on the rest. there is about 14 traffic signal in 1 1/2 miles.

also, the A1 is really bad for traffic. normally its 2-3 lanes of solid traffic moving at about 20 a times. solution? seperate the 3rd lane from the second. instant fines for people lane swapping. after all, its the western 'bypass' which is susposed to move traffic faster. if you have 1 lane as a bypass and other 2 (one is a lane and the other is a sliproad on/off) for traffic coming on and off during the problem area that should solve is a bit. but no. thats too easy for the government. they want us to pay ridiculous amounts to use the roads and take traffic away from it where all they need to do is seperate the lanes

/rant

there was a road near me changed from 40 to 30 because residents couldnt park there cars without having to leave, i think side lights on. so if theres cars parked up you can assume its 30 or less and if you crash into a car without side lights on, on a 40 you can pass the blame onto them maybe?

jbonding said:
there was a road near me changed from 40 to 30 because residents couldnt park there cars without having to leave, i think side lights on. so if theres cars parked up you can assume its 30 or less and if you crash into a car without side lights on, on a 40 you can pass the blame onto them maybe?

i dont think thats any excuse. after all, you should be driving with your lights on at night which means you should be able to see the cars

you will see it but not until the last minute going 40, especially if the street lighting is bad.

The most annoying thing is that 99.8% of drivers have no comprehension of how the bloody camera's work in the first place. In a 40 Zone, the camera will not flash UNLESS you are in excess of 50mph, and the same is true for all speed camera's in all zones, except the new 20mph camera's which operate at 25mph.

Several times i have been tempted to slam into the rear of the car that brakes from 60 to 30 in a 50 Zone because of a camera, then sue the Police for causing an accident!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back