Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, here's one for you.

I got 2 letters from the same person today. One of them has a simple hand-stamped circular postmark on the postage stamp. I cannot read the date on it (its been delayed 4 weeks, and the envelope wasnt sealed (self sealing), but this person goes through a 3rd party to send her post, she doesn't seal it or send it herself, so I cant be sure who caused the delay because theres no post date)

The other envelope has a printed postmark, with 8 wavy lines over the postage stamp and a date/time/location, and an advert for some new stamps, as well as a double-ended vertical arrow in a rectangular box. Its also been marked with orange "barcode"-style lines.

I have had post from this person with no postmark on it. Will RM know if i re-use the stamp?

Why the difference in postmarking?

What does the double ended arrow mean? This appears on most of my post, sometimes on the back.

Anyone out there in the know?

Sponsored Links
are things that tight that you need to re use stamps?

time for a change of career ;)

Sponsored Links
The orange barcode is the postcode but in machine readable form (i.e. a barcode) - it means it can be sorted by a machine. A person sits at a desk watching the letters whizz by, and they key in the postcode... this then gets printed on the envelope

The printed postmark is done by a machine.... usually only letters of a certain size, shape and thickness.

The circular postmark is literally done with a hand stamp and is usually for 'packets' - i.e. anything irregluar or too thick for the machine - or for any oddities... like split packets... or letters spotted without a postmark at the delivery office.

You might want to check the 'unused' stamp for almost invisible phosphur dots... but apart from that, it should be fine - although probably illegal !! :eek: and just don't sellotape it back on.

..... what do you mean "how sad am i knowing all that".. :evil: i don't... it's just a guess !! :evil: and no, i don't like trains!

;)

Back