Postage Conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you may have noticed if you read Electrics, I have started selling stuff on Ebay.

I am looking through my list to try and find ways to become more competitive.

One of my items is a 2/3 surface-mounted telephone socket.

Some are selling (post included) for £2, others for £2.99, others for £3.49.

Taking the £2.99 one as an example, I looked to see how it would be sent: 1st class.

So that must be the parcel price, as the large letter can only go up to 25mm thick and a telecoms socket like that is 29mm.

Even if you opened the pack and unscrewed the faceplate (the box is only 20mm deep) you would have to pay £2.05 for first class large letter rate (my socket & packaging weighs 71g)

This is assuming the padded envelope would not add more than 5mm to the thickness, which is questionable.

Unless the seller is franking and therefore getting a discount, how are they managing that price?

I certainly can't see how the seller letting them go for £2 is making anything off the deal, even if he paid nothing for the item!

I can't compete with those prices!

Sponsored Links
You can get special postage rates from EBay, to send parcels and packages these are cheaper than the Post Office !

Also Some of the EBay products are sent direct from China, the Chinese Government has a policy in place that allows businesses to send their products worldwide air freight free of charge.

They could also be selling from there place of work & have the use of the postal facilities. (not saying I did).

Cheers, Boss! I have used the ebay postage system and it is not any cheaper - to me anyway.

DIY: good point...

Sponsored Links
What they say and what they do may be different, they may say they are using RM postage but actually use one of the other cheaper delivery co's.

Also Some of the EBay products are sent direct from China.
And some sellers are entirely based in, and send goods from China, but give their location as somewhere within the country they're trying to sell to. It would be nice if eBay would do something about it.

Also Some of the EBay products are sent direct from China.
And some sellers are entirely based in, and send goods from China, but give their location as somewhere within the country they're trying to sell to. It would be nice if eBay would do something about it.
I wouldn't hold your breath.
I wouldn't dream of using Fleabay.

Back