Potterton 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The above boiler is 5 years old. Up until January this year it delivered hot water at a good flow rate. Since January the boiler seems to switch off and on while delivering hot water. BG have looked at it and said that it was a problem with the mains water. I got Thames Water in and they confirmed that the water delivery to the sink taps is 3 bar, which I believe to be a good rate. I have left the boiler as it is working and the CH is fine but it’s now irritating me. I have spoken with a couple of plumbers who have suggested, at different times, that the boiler may be scaled up. I believe that the area I live in is a hard water area. The system is a closed system, how easy is it to descale this sort of system or does it have to be done professionally. Also, whenever I mention this type of boiler to a plumber they always scoff and say that CH is fine but the domestic water delivery is pretty poor. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
In my view its unlikely to be scaled up!

I think that you need a competent engineer to come and properly diagnose the fault!

There are many possible causes of this.

For the benefit of others if you say the "water goes hot and cold" then give the timescale, e.g. hot for five minutes and cold for two minutes etc. It helps to consider the possible faults.

Tony Glazier

Sorry for not being too clear, when a shower is taken the water visibly drops in pressure and goes cold, this lasts for approx 1-2 mins. Prior to all this happening we were having problems with the boiler "kettling" the BG engineer then mentioned the flow of water and adjusted the flow rate, thats why I got the Water Board in to check. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
this particualr boiler is prone to scaling especially if not fitted with a scale reducer as stated in the installation instructions :confused:

i would look at replacing the heat exchanger but before this check that the flow restrictor isnt blocked as this can also happen you will find it above the cold water inlet ballofix isolating valve :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back