Potterton EP2002 to Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello please could anyone help me
I've wired in my hive as per instructions from another thread
CH is working. When putting on hot water only, the rads heat up and no hot water from the tap.
Gloworm flexicom boiler
Honeywell 3port valve
I have included some pictures that will hopefully help, I labeled them as best I can.
(The grey wire of the Honeywell valve is behind the others and connected into the centre block with the BLACK wire from the controller wire)
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20210127_223300.jpg
    20210127_223300.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 16118601858136639605324330744836.jpg
    16118601858136639605324330744836.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210127_212725.jpg
    20210127_212725.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The 3-Port valve sits at rest when it's not powered in the hot water only position. To move it from hot water to the heating position a 'live' is required on the motorised valve's white wire. This white wire should only be connected to terminal 4 of the Hive which has the yellow wire in your photograph and nothing else. As far as I can tell from your photograph, this looks to be correct, unless there is a wire connected to it elsewhere.

Assuming the above is correct, if you could try the following it might give us a clue. Switch both the heating and hot water 'off' at the Hive. Not just override them, but off as if you were going away on holiday and didn't want them to come on at all. Then turn the power to the entire heating system off for a minute. Now restore the power and turn only the hot water on. What happens now? do the radiators still come on? does the hot water cylinder start to heat up?

If the hot water still heats up in the test, the next thing to check is that the grey wire on the motorised valve is not becoming live when it shouldn’t be. This wire is made live only when the hot water is not required, and the motorised valve closes the hot water outlet port.

This grey wire should be connected to two places only:

1) Terminal 1 of the Hive [Hot Water Off( N/C)]

2) The connection at the hot water cylinder thermostat that is made live when the thermostat is satisfied (i.e. off). If this connection is made live under other circumstances it will close off the hot water port when it should be open. If the connections at the cylinder thermostat are transposed it could make the grey wire live when it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
The terminal with the black and grey wires from the controller and Cyl thermostat should also have the grey wire from the valve connected in there

Sponsored Links
Thanks you for the reply Stem I will try this test

Ianmcd thank you for replying.. the grey wire from the valve is connected to the same block as the black and grey wires from the controller and cylinder thermostat as mentioned. Sorry it wasnt clear in my picture as its behind the other wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back