Potterton Hall effect sensor connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Combi Gold 33 HE just went into a state where it is indicating hot water demand all the time, so obviously we are getting no CH and the burner is firing up , fan turning on and off every few minutes.

I believe this is a problem with the DHW flow sensing function so took the hall effect sensor off the inlet pipe - but the problem remained. So I deduced it was a problem with the sensor itself not the turbine / magnet , but also noticed that the 3 pin connector and wires are heavily corroded. I bought a new sensor anyway , but that did not solve the problem.

My next step is to replace the connector as I'm assuming the corrosion may be causing a short somewhere. The problem is that I can't find out / work out what make it is - can't see one that looks like it anywhere searching the internet.

Does anyone know what make will fit ? It is the 3 pin push connector for the sensor that has part number 5114767

Sponsored Links
I can see that I could buy the wiring bundle (5114780) but seems stupid to have to change a whole bunch of things in one go when all I need to change is one connector

Sponsored Links
Is your boiler firing up without a demand? No hot water running or ch thermostat up?

the hot water demand is on all the time - it fires up until the water temp reaches the set level then shuts down until has cooled and then fires up again. when there is real DHW demand it works as normal. When I take the hall effect sensor off the inlet pipe it still thinks there is DHW demand, when I take the wiring plug out of the sensor it no longer thinks there is demand. I switched to a new sensor , thinking the was the problem, but same - put the plug in (even when nowhere near a magnet) and it thinks there is demand, take it out and it doesn't (and then the CH kicks in as expected). So my logic is that here is some problem with the connector to the sensor - which is full of corrosion from a slow seepage. Am waiting for the complete new DHW wiring harness to arrive - yet to decide whether to simply put the whole new harness in or just cut off the sensor connector and re-attach that to the old harness ( thinking here being not to disturb all the other connections which visually look fine and seem to be working)

If your turn the dial is to hw tap, the boiler fires up? Even though no tap is opened ?

check the actuator/ and cartridge. Common fault.

Last edited:
The DHW demand light is always on and the boiler lights up when the temperature drops below teh set temperature for the DHW, fires up briefly while the temperature rises and then falls again.. So I think the issue is that the DHW demand is always thought to be on. I'm changing the DHW harness tomorrow - I think that and a hall effect sensor change should sort it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back