Potterton Kingfisher MF H/W Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have the above boiler which seems to have developed an 'issue' with heating the hot water.

When the boiler is on CH and HW at the same time, or just CH, there is no problem. However, when set to just HW the return to the boiler is very hot, and the boiler stat trips and the boiler turns off. This is with the cylinder stat set to 55C.

Further, the boiler keeps trying to light once this has happened, for maybe 5 to 10 times, but obviously fails because the stat has tripped. The boiler is not locked out and after these re-light attempts goes back to normal and waits for the temp to cool then re-lights.

I don't remember this happening before the last couple of weeks, and I'm not sure what the issue could be. If any of you can give me some fault-finding advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have the above boiler which seems to have developed an 'issue' with heating the hot water.
I don't remember this happening before the last couple of weeks, and I'm not sure what the issue could be. If any of you can give me some fault-finding advice it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Nick.

The symtoms indicate that there is lack of water in the expansion tank located in the loft or the feed pipe from this tank is blocked.

spraggo

The symtoms indicate that there is lack of water in the expansion tank located in the loft or the feed pipe from this tank is blocked.

spraggo

Thanks for replying. I checked the tank and feed and they are both fine. Tank half(ish) full, and water flowing freely into system.

Regards,

Nick.

How did you check the feed was not blocked?

Air lock in one of the h/w primaries? Assuming you have a gravity h/w system that is. :idea:

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
do you have gravity fed hot water or a fully pumped system? what's the boiler stat set to?

do you have gravity fed hot water or a fully pumped system? what's the boiler stat set to?

Hi,

It's fully pumped. Stat on roughly 8 out of 10. On 10 it just takes longer to happen, but it still happens.

Regards,

Nick.

Hi again,

I would have thought that if the boiler is just heating water (and not providing CH) that the flow to the cylinder and back is very short, therefore the return will be much hotter. Is that correct?

I still can't understand why the above is occurring though :(

Regards,

Nick.

Your boiler is cycling on its internal stat because it cant get rid of the heat into the cylinder coil, this is normal but the relighting issue may be gas related, time for an rgi.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Anyone in East Lancashire (between Blackburn and Burnley) want to come and have a look?

Regards,

Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back