Kingfisher MF Boiling Up

There you go again, why did it boil yesterday and not today.

What was different in the boilers use, Did you have the heating on today and not yesterday for example.

Sponsored Links
There you go again, why did it boil yesterday and not today.

What was different in the boilers use, Did you have the heating on today and not yesterday for example.

Hi DIA, nothings changed, HW & CH on at 7.00am for an hour then off until 5.00pm then on for an hour then off.

If during the day it gets a bit cold in the house we hit the CH advance button on the programmer which fires the boiler and also heats the hot water.

Now, sometimes it will be absolutely fine and continue to run until set time to switch off in the evening and at other times will run for 15 mins or so before boiling up.

Nothing has been changed, altered, fiddled with or kicked. Sometimes (more often than not at present) it will boil up, other times it will not.

When it does boil up the rads and hot water are too hot to touch when it doesn't the rads and hot water are fine. Very, very occasionally when the boiler has been operating with no problem the radiators and hot water are not very hot and to have a bath the immersion needs to be put on for 15 mins. This is very rare, maybe once every three months.

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
because there might be enough water in the system to let the rads heat but the boiler will soon start boiling if there is no gravity circulation when the hot water is run on its own,

it could be the blockage is letting enough water through to top up the water level when its switched off and then drops as the boiler is run, without being there I am guessing as much as you are.

because there might be enough water in the system to let the rads heat but the boiler will soon start boiling if there is no gravity circulation when the hot water is run on its own,

it could be the blockage is letting enough water through to top up the water level when its switched off and then drops as the boiler is run, without being there I am guessing as much as you are.

Hi Picasso,

How and where would I check the cold feed? And cold feed to what?

Thanks,

Steve

try draining some water off the system and check to see if the ballcock in the small tank in the loft starts to fill.

But Picasso why should the boiler temp control system cause it to overheat?

Tony

Good check for boiler feed is to place a magnet on this pipe. Usually blocks around the T section. If there is attraction to the magnet there is a build up of magnetite.

Tony

Hi all, been fine for a couple of days until this evening when the system went bonkers again, banging, boiling, overflowing. As it happened my BIL was round and he seemed to have a grasp of the system. Is going to check the tanks in the loft at the weekend for correct filling, going to drain the system, clean the header/expansion tank out, refill the system and whack in a litre of central heating cleaner, run for a couple of hours then drain again, refill and put in some Fernox(?) inhibitor.

Does this process sound right?

Steve

Why not, we can discuss lateral thinking later in the year when you don't need heating.

Steve perhaps following Picasso's advice might be better than what your BIL intends to do. If his grasp of things was that good, then this thread would not be on page 4.

Get a magnet and place it at various points on the two pipes that put heat into the cylinder, starting at cylinder connection towards the tee and checking the tee as well

Steve perhaps following Picasso's advice might be better than what your BIL intends to do. If his grasp of things was that good, then this thread would not be on page 4.

Get a magnet and place it at various points on the two pipes that put heat into the cylinder, starting at cylinder connection towards the tee and checking the tee as well

Thanks DP BIL's been away so have not asked him before, just happened that he was round yesterday when it happened.

Thanks for coming back and explaining where to check with a magnet.

Steve

Tony

Hi Tony,

Just a quick update on our boiling problem. I drained down the system, refilled and put in Fernox F3 into the header/expansion tank, ran for a week and this morning drained down, refilled, drained down again, refilled and added Fernox F1. For the week the F3 was in the banging has completely stopped but still overheats and blows into the expansion tank in the loft and then overflows out of the fascia overflow.

Boiled up this evening with just HW on within 15 mins of coming on.

We have red hot water and (when CH is on) Red hot rads so dont understand why circulation would be a problem. If we had cold rads and cool HW then I could understand it.

Could the boiler temperature control be the problem? The boiler does seem to be running nearly all the time during the set programme times.

When I was in the garage the other day I noticed the burner was off and it kept 'clicking' then firing with a 'whoomf' then cutting out then more clicking then a short fire again then it stopped doing it, when I went back in the garage later it was running fine.

Now the warm weather's here I'll likley just bang the immersion on a timer for 20mins in morning an 20 mins at night as at 2.5kW it'll only cost us around £70.00 a year to heat the water which is probably cheaper than running our old boiler anyway but know the problem will re-occur in October when the CH has to come on which heats the HW also.

Thanks,

Steve

All the indications to me are that it is a boiler control problem.

Thats often the PCB but can be wiring loom faults.

Often caused by a sticking relay.

Not one of the most expensive PCBs either.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back