Kingfisher MF Boiling Up

How many times will you be advised to check the cold feed for a blockage? Have you checked it because you do not mention it in your latest update

Sponsored Links
How many times will you be advised to check the cold feed for a blockage? Have you checked it because you do not mention it in your latest update

Hi Terence,

Yes cold feed to expansion tank is fine and runs well when ball valve is pushed down and cuts off fine.

Is there another cold feed we should check?

Thanks

Steve

Doh2.gif

Sponsored Links
Doh2.gif

I'd sooner know where all the waters coming from.

Hey we have all summer to. :rolleyes:

How would we check if this is blocked?

How many times do you have to be told?

FFS.

Only once, it won't be, in my opinion. :mrgreen:

Drain some water from a radiator with a hose pipe, if the header tank refill all is good.

Hi DIA,

Didn't trust myself with a hosepipe across the carpet so cracked open the CH drain-off outside the conservatory 1/2 a turn and then nipped into the loft and the header tank was filling fine.

I didn't have any particular concerns as last weekend we drained down, refilled, added Fernox F3 and it was ok. Even when bleeding air out of a couple of rads which had a lot of air in them I could hear the header tank filling.

Likewise when I drained out the F3 and added F1 inhibitor this weekend the header was filling fine.

Kind Regards

Steve

Don't think you're listening to the right experts Steve.

Tell us a lot more about the system.

System as follows:

Potterton MF RS70 Floor Mounted Mains Gas Balanced Flue Boiler in garage

Pumped CH with Grunfos three speed pump in garage, open vented with header tank (approx 12 - 15 ltrs) in loft

12 radiators with TRV's to most radiators

Old fashioned analogue room thermostat in hall (no trv's to hall rads)

British Gas UP1 7 day programmer in attached garage with British Gas FS 1 Frost Stat.

Pipe Stat in garage on HW circuit, not sure if it's on hot or cold pipe though, which is also wired into the Frost Stat. Don't know what this pipe stat is for.

Gravity HW with approx 125 ltr foam covered cylinder in A/C on first floor landing.

No thermostat on cylinder.

Not a split system - ie HW comes on with CH

28mm Copper to and from HW cylinder from boiler.

With CH & HW on the system boils and blows into the header tank which then overflows out of the fascia overflow pipe. This can be intermittent with no set timings as to when it will occur but it is frequent.

With only HW on it will boil up within 15 mins every time.

Since running F3 through the system, draining and adding F1 the previous horrendous banging has stopped but not the boiling/overflowing.

Have changed the thermistor and used new themal paste prior to system cleaning but no change in system behaviour.

Boiler serviced in January by plumber and was told water temps to and from boiler were fine, (it wasn't boiling up when plumber was here).

Plumber said it could be a blocked cyliner coil and tried to sell a pumped system or powerflush but could not really come up with any suggestions.

Thant's about it.

Thanks,

Steve

And there's not something like a Drayton Tapstat on the cylinder return.

The stat on the return by the boiler would be connected with the frost stat, the frost stat turns the boiler on and the pipe stat turns it off again at a set temperature.

You say there's no cylinder stat so the boiler is controlled by it's own stat.

Interestingly, if the boiler is still boiling and overflowing you should still get the banging and violent explosions as the boiling water goes over the vent pipe.

Where is all the extra water coming from thats going out the overflow pipe, em more thought needed.

I would still want the gasman to check the gas valve and pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back