Potterton Prima 50f boiler issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am new here and have an issue with my Potterton prima 50f boiler, it’s had many new parts over the years including PCB...
This morning it got to the point of clicking twice, pilot light coming on and boiler fired up, for approx 1 second, then went off, and then this cycle must repeated for ten mins till I noticed and turned it off...both CH and HW were calling for heat...
When I turned back on, I turned just CH on but not HW and it worked as normal...not sure if this was anything to do with it....

I assume fan is ok as it got to light, albeit for just 1 second...

Any ideas...?
Thanks in advance....
Stewart

Sponsored Links
you need to get it properly serviced and tell the servicing engineer about they problem before they start, dont expect them to guess that it has a fault

you need to get it properly serviced and tell the servicing engineer about they problem before they start, dont expect them to guess that it has a fault

Well that was really useful info, Not, if I was having it serviced I would not be posting on here, and unless I was a compete idiot, which I am not, then of course I would inform them....

unless I was a compete idiot,
Well as you are not a complete idiot, read the conditions of posting on here , and you will see that giving you Gas work advice, which is what is wrong with your boiler is against site rules and your post will be deleted

Sponsored Links
Well as you are not a complete idiot, read the conditions of posting on here , and you will see that giving you Gas work advice, which is what is wrong with your boiler is against site rules and your post will be deleted

well I did not know the issue was a gas problem did I, or I would not have posted on here.....so don’t tell me how to fix, but what needs replacing....as you seem convinced its a gas issue....how...??

Because it is a very common problem with that boiler , easy enough and not expensive to fix, decent enough old boilers to be fair

Because it is a very common problem with that boiler , easy enough and not expensive to fix, decent enough old boilers to be fair

I have replaced the PCB, three way valve, air pressure switch and fan assembly, over the years...so are you pointing towards the gas flow valve...?if so I know a plumber who is gas safe registered so can do this for me...just can’t contact him ATM ☹️

And if it’s a common issue how come it’s the one thing that’s never been replaced in 25 years of having this boiler...?

The mid position valve that you refer to is nothing to do with your boiler, it is an external system control
Yes I know, I was just listing the items that I had replaced....so are you saying that needs replacing again....is that the issue as I know they don’t last long...?
So nothing to do with the gas valve then...?

As Gas Registered people we know that we are not allowed to give you information or even encourage you to attempt to repair your boiler yourself. You should not even be opening up your boiler yourself.

It is likely to be a very simple fault and might not even need any new part. But what it does need is a properly qualified person to diagnose the fault and check the safety aspects of your boiler's operation. We do not just fix them and walk away! We do some checks to ensure they are working safely before we leave.

It is very easy to get a gas registered person to come and fix it for you. You do not need to know him as any registered person can come, that is what we do! All you need to do is to ensure that your environment will not present any increased Covid risk to him during his visit.

May I ask if there's any connectiohn between the (newly registered) poster called Agile -Services and the (not so newly registered) poster called Agile ... who last posted in June 2019 (but was last seen here 6 minutes ago).

May I ask if there's any connectiohn between the (newly registered) poster called Agile -Services and the (not so newly registered) poster called Agile ... who last posted in June 2019 (but was last seen here 6 minutes ago).

EDIT. I just saw that there is, indeed, a connection.

And what has that got to do with my issue...??

Now you happen to ask, absolutely nothing. I beg your forgiveness.

And, by the way, I look forward to seeing you endear yourself to forum members in your forthcoming exchanges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back