Potterton Puma 80e / 90e Repair / Replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Potterton PUMA Boiler, either 80 or 90e.

It has a blocked heat exchange and a Sludge issue.

Do you think I should look to replace the boiler, or have the issue repaired.

The boiler was covered by a warranty team, and they have agreed to cover 50% of the cost of the repair for the heat exchange but not the sludge.

My thought is that its an old boiler, maybe on the way out ?

If your thoughts are to replace, what would be an easy installation (similar or like for like unit) to keep the installation costs low.

Many thanks for all your help in advance.

Paris

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the dirt and sludge is killing your boiler, I would replace after a thorough flushing of the system.

Hi Paris,

I'm not a tradesman, just a punter as it seems you are.

If its any help, we had a similar issue to an extent - it didn't breakdown but the hot water flow rates were becoming less (it started to fluctuate from hot to cold, an eng reduced the flow rates slightly and that stopped the hot/cold fluctuation). When we looked into it (we were doing other work in the kitchen at the time) it seemed a good idea to look at replacing the boiler when we were at it, and which would probably be more economical as well to replace the old boiler with a new one. While we were at it we had all the TRV's replaced, the system power-flushed (to flush out all the sludge in the pipes), the new boiler also had an auxiliary magnet-filter fitted from new (so as to collect metallic particles and so minimise sludged in the future). As we had a magnetic filter fitted as well, the manufacturer's warranty is extended to 8 years. So, in the long run we are saving on heating bills (the new one is more efficient), plus we don't have to fork out circa £230 per annum for a maintenance plan - over 8 years that's quite a bit. I dare say you will have to do a few sums and see what works out for you, but for us it was a no-brainer as they say (at least from a number-crunching economy point of view - we still preferred the old combi boiler we had as it was easier to use and it still hadn't broken down after nearly 20 years of good service so we replaced it with a condensing combi of the same make).

All the best.

Thankyou for your help!

First, do you mind if i ask what model combi you replaced it with ?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of the system?

Second, the warranty company has agreed to pay for half the heat exchange.

If I have to have the system flushed anyway, is there a downside to getting it sorted on the cheap now / splitting the cost and seeing how long it will go?

Would the system need re-flushing prior to changing the boiler if I did it next year for example?

Thanks again,

Paris

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 38CDi Classic. You would probably get it cheaper than we did (our criteria was to use a local plumbing company we knew we could rely on, not to get the cheapest price). The cost included: power-flush of the existing rads/pipework; removal of the old boiler/flue; installation of the new boiler/flue; fitting of auxiliary magnetic filter (also Worcester); removing/replacing all TRV's. It was over two and a half thousand quid. You could get the Greenstar 34CDi Classic for less money and it would do as good a job - a neighbour has the 34CDi and it does a perfectly good job, we went for the 38CDi which has slightly higher flow-rates so could serve a bigger than average home with greater ease.

As far as I know you would have to have the power-flush at the time of the new boiler installation and then installation of the filter. If you think about it a year's worth of sludge has to be dealt with - our 8 year manufacturer's warranty is dependent upon having an annual service every 12 months complete with the filter being detached/cleaned. The service will probably be around £60 or £70 but which is a lot less than the circa £230 we had previously been paying for a maintenance plan annually including service. We will therefore save circa £150 x 8 years i.e. around £1,200 - and that excludes the savings of our heating bills as new condensing combi's are more efficient (the 38CDi spec etc says it is over 90% efficient whereas our old one was probably more like 70% at new and less than 50% when we replaced it). The Worcester Greenstar range of condensing boillers is also recommended by "Which?" magazine - seems to be one of their top recommended ones although we got it because we had a Worcester Bosch 280 combi for nearly 20 years and it never let us down. We replaced as we were having a whole new kitchen anyway and it seemed daft not to also replace the boiler at the same time.

Hi,

Thanks again for the information about the system / your advice.

I am going to go with your advice and replace the boiler.

I have been looking around everywhere / called numerous companies for quotes etc.

From what I can see this agency that covers my area offer the cheapest service by far that covers my area (guildford).

http://www.checkatrade.com/MmHeating/

I am thinking of getting one of the following packages. All these prices include fitting, a power flush etc. I am currently leaning towards either the Worcester or the Valiant:

Vaillant Ecotec plus 824 ..................... £1350.00 + VAT 7 Years Guarantee
Worcester Bosch 29 CDI Classic ........... £1400.00 + VAT 5 Years Guarantee
Baxi Platinum He A 24 ..................... £1199.00 + VAT 10 Years Guarantee

Which would everyone recommend ?

The ebay listing below details the service package that they are offering along with the boiler. Also, it details a wide range of boilers that they do. I just thought that these looked the best:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worcester...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item19f0e16d9b

Also, I will follow your advice and get a magnetic filter.

Many thanks for your help

Paris

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Have you had someone come out and inspect the work that needs to be done from the company on eBay? I can near enough guarantee the price you pay won't be that price you have posted up on here.

Hi,

Thanks for your help :)

I had the original issues with my Puma 80e diagnosed by Pottertons Heateam.

But no one else has come to inspect the unit yet.

My thought had been that as they included the flush and installation as part of the package there would have been little else to add?

With the exception of add ons (e.g.the mag filter if I wanted) what else could you see that would need doing ?

Thanks for your help,

Paris

Those prices are even lower than I would charge!

I can only assume they are "one foot in the door" and their real quotes are far more by the time they have sucked through their teeth at all your problems!

Tony

Those prices are even lower than I would charge!

I can only assume they are "one foot in the door" and their real quotes are far more by the time they have sucked through their teeth at all your problems!

Tony

Plus 1
Get a few quotes and don't go with the cheapest.
A decent guy will have a play with the system and satisfy himself he can get it working properly before giving a quote.
If they don't do this you may end up with the same problems with a new boiler.
Jeff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back