Potterton puma 80e - beyond economical repair ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help above boiler is behaving badly. Hot water comes out warm at best I shower under max temp with no cold and that is with a low flow rate to get that warm. Some rads leak which ment system needed recharging, unfortunately tap was left open which resulted in water pouring from overflow - now drips slowly when heating on and constantly needs recharging, also somewhat noisy too....needs recharging every morning now ? Also are the rads repairable a freind has told me they are scrap but a fibre washer seems to be all that is leaking ?

Sponsored Links
New blow off valve fiver, is this the boiler with wax capsule? new one of those also.

Radiators don't have fibre washers, might just nip up.

Next time remove braided steel pipe after topping up. I train all my customers to remove it and keep it on top of boiler. It's not actually lawful to leave them on, but it's also precipitant to the problem you had.

Thanks for replies - Wax capsule if applicable and "blow of vale" would rectify leak from overflow and retain pressure ? Would that also help with water temp too ? or is that something more costly ?

Sponsored Links
supermario said:
get rid! there is a very knowledgable potterton engineer on here but at the of the day you cant polish a turd!!!!!

Amusing, factual and true.

They're shiny sometimes though.

Wax capsule may fix the HW problem, not then maybe a whole diverter valve, fitted for say £120 IF that's needed - a boiler bod would be able to tell easily.
If the problem's scale that can be cleaned - no need for a drama really.

The drips are cheap to fix and the rad problems aren't the boiler's fault!

Paul Barker said:
Radiators don't have fibre washers
But air vent and blanking plugs used to (before O rings) - I bet these are what's leaking.

YThey seem like a red/brown type washer made of a compressed material which has flaked away the rads aint that old i assume maybee 10years old fitted with the boiler - both rads and boiler inherited - does this sound right - -seems like a good cleen up and replacement of washers would work but worried about leabving myself without heating and/or hot water ....missus would kill me !!!

Then get you an airing cupboard, because the future is grim not orange with that (some would say any) combi. But you can get it fixed this time.

roscoepeko said:
YThey seem like a red/brown type washer made of a compressed material which has flaked away the rads aint that old i assume maybee 10years old fitted with the boiler - both rads and boiler inherited - does this sound right - -seems like a good cleen up and replacement of washers would work but worried about leabving myself without heating and/or hot water ....missus would kill me !!!

Just shut the valves both ends of the rads drain a bit of water out of the rads and remove the blanking and bleed plugs. Clean up the rad and plugs and reseal em with a bit of ptfe tape round the threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back