Potterton Puma 80e No CH, HW OK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Potterton Puma 80e which will not work the central heating. I can turn on the hot taps, the flame will light and nice hot water will be produced. However when I switch the boiler to "constant" nothing happens, and I mean nothing: no lights, no flame, no noise, nothing!

I`m thinking it might be the PCB? However whats worthing noting is that I have recently had a new washing machine installed which is cold feed only. The hot feed has been capped off and the local stop tap has been closed and it doesn`t appear to be leaking? Do I need to cap it off and open the stop tap or keep it closed? As this fed the old washer, would this cause a problem?

I paid dixons for the delivery, installation and scrap of the old washer. However the deliver men turned up and told the students that because the new machine was cold fill only they could not touch the old one, and dumped the new one at the house without taking the old one.

To make the situation more challenging its in a house I let to students so access is restricted and I can`t really spend too long there messing about with things.

Has anyone had any experience of using the "British Gas - one off boiler repair fixed price" https://www.britishgas.co.uk/ViewQuoteDetails/repairBoilerCentralHeating/ its £192 at my postcode. Think this might be a good buy?

Hope you can help, I really need to get this sorted ASAP.

Thanks for reading

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the reply.

Just that nothing happens when switching to "constant" on the bolier.

Sponsored Links
Is there an external room stat?

If not then the pump has seized or failed.

Look in the FAQ for instructions for spinning a Myson pump or other names with a black hex knob !

Tony

Nope no external thermostat.

I`ll try the pump spinning thing.

turn off boiler - take of front - pull black hex knob out - spin clockwise - push back in - turn back on and test?

$1 bet ben ;)
I wouldn't bet a dollar cent on that one.
There are so many people that say pcb the moment they don't know what the problem is that I have become weary of mentioning it until I have exhausted all other possibilities.

Look at the back of the pcb top left hand corner about the fifth joint in, i bet it needs resolded had this loads of times for the same fault

Pump seized would show as the boiler trying to bounce off the wall even in dhw.
Dripping taps would not prevent the blr firing it just prevents the wax diverter from expanding causing overheat. Good job it was only a dollar!
Think you need to get your multimeter out and check your external controls are all calling.
I'd usually second you with regards pcb's Bengas (except Solo 3's and suprimas)

Went over there last night and couldn`t find any dripping taps.

I probably should have mentioned that I have soldered the connection you specify before in the past, but that was when I lived in the property.

Think its illegal for me to start messing with the boiler now the tenants occupy the house and I can`t really leave the students with no CH so I`ve opted for an NPower fixed price boiler repair £190. Ching ching! Just hope they don`t turn up and start telling me they can`t get parts ... need new boiler blah, blah ....

Thanks for all your help guys!

Parts are readily available, every single one of them afaik, and it is a simple boiler; there really is no reason why it couldn't be repaired, unless it is completely rotted away.

Hi, just in case anyones interested, it was the PCB. NPower chap replaced it and everyones toasty again :eek:)

Cheers people!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back