Potterton Statesman Overheating

I

Igorian

Hi chaps

I'm having a problem with my Potterton Statesman Oil boiler.

I've had an engineer out, but i'm not convinced that he has a handle on this boiler. The problem is that the boiler constantly overheats, even if no demand for hot water or heating. He has replaced the expansion vessel and a flow switch, although he had problems with the latter as it was not switching off. He rectified this by adding a spacing washer. Could it be that there is still a problem with the flow switch (ie thinking that there is still flow)?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Which model Flowsure or Flowsure+

The flowsure+ has a thermal store. The boiler will maintain the temperature of this even if there is no demand from the hot water taps.

Maybe you have the flowsure+ and the "engineer" doesn't realise the boiler will fire up to maintain the store but he thinks the flowswitch is stuck on.

Could be several things faulty pump over stat etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I knew i'd forget the important bit, but no, it's just the Flowsure, not the +.

Does it overheat just after a hot water demand?

If you are competant you could disconnect the flow sensor in case there is a problem with it.

Sponsored Links
I am sorry that your engineer was unable to solve the problem on this visit.

I agree that disconnecting the hot water demand switch might prove something. If that still comes on then perhaps there is a faulty frost stat?

Boiler problems are always simple but not until you have found them.

I hope that he was OFTEC registered?

Tony

Gasguru said:
Does it overheat just after a hot water demand?

If you are competant you could disconnect the flow sensor in case there is a problem with it.

It can overheat from switch on/reset.

I've noticed something else now. When the hot tap is opened, the boiler doesn't always start. I gave the flow switch a tap and the boiler fired up. I'm assuming the switch has a paddle which is somehow getting stuck (hence the addition of the washer in 1st post).

Another washer?

Agile said:
I am sorry that your engineer was unable to solve the problem on this visit.

I agree that disconnecting the hot water demand switch might prove something. If that still comes on then perhaps there is a faulty frost stat?

Boiler problems are always simple but not until you have found them.

Tony

Hi Tony

Sorry if I sounded a little disgruntled about the engineer. This will be the second to visit the boiler. The first one serviced it, but left it leaking and without power. He did come back and restore power, but when he started hitting it with a mallet, making the leak worse, I chucked him out.

Both the guys are registered.

I think that you are quite entitled to be disgruntled !

Without knowing what was leaking I cannot comment on the use of a mallet. All I can say is that I dont have one in my boiler repair tool kit!

It does sound as if the flow switch is sticking. It should be a simple component and if it has been replaced with a new one I would not expect it to give any problems.

Most boiler engineers are quite competent and able to do a good job but because there is no independent rating of their capabilities there are the odd few who are not quite so good.

Tony

Agile said:
I think that you are quite entitled to be disgruntled !

Without knowing what was leaking I cannot comment on the use of a mallet. All I can say is that I dont have one in my boiler repair tool kit!

It does sound as if the flow switch is sticking. It should be a simple component and if it has been replaced with a new one I would not expect it to give any problems.

Most boiler engineers are quite competent and able to do a good job but because there is no independent rating of their capabilities there are the odd few who are not quite so good.

Tony

One of the valves, either side of the pump was leaking. He said that he was trying to reseat the valve. I ended up replacing it without any problems.

I'll have a play with the switch.

Agile said:

Tony

Would that make any difference? A paper qualification does not make a good engineer.

jeeez mr agile. you aint got a mallet?? try one of these
several sizes. i got the teenie one...and the big one . the teenie one for the boiler. and the big one for the customers.

any way... surely if the boiler is overheating.... the boiler stat is frekked. quite common on la statesman.

they deliver a good dead blow as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back