Potterton Suprima 30 water working no heating help!

The Op's motorised valve isn't working ( probably failed motor),by latching it manually to open ,and setting the programmer for DHW,the boiler is energised directly by the cylinder stat. The cylinder stat ( if not satisfied) sends voltage to the same terminal , often terminal 8 ,that contains the orange wire and the switch line to the boiler,therefore energising the boiler. The orange wire is the only output voltage from the valve ,and in this scenario does nothing,albeit being back fed voltage from the cylinder stat, which has no effect whatsoever on the valve.
But some can be lead to water, but can not drink , OP I apologise that your post has been taken off Topic about what you were asking, go back to @terryplumb post and forget everything from there, most on here want to help , but there is always one that spoils it for everyone

Sponsored Links
I have already told her what to do ,and explained the limitations. Once cylinder stat is satisfied the boiler will close down.
So what happens when the cylinder stat is satisfied and the house still isn't warm enough? My #42 covers that.

but there is always one that spoils it for everyone
Can't imagine who you're referring to there. Perhaps you should let the OP be the judge. You haven't made any suggestion about how to solve her problem. I've tried, so has terryplumb, but see my #48.

Sponsored Links
Can't imagine who you're referring to there. Perhaps you should let the OP be the judge. You haven't made any suggestion about how to solve her problem. I've tried, so has terryplumb, but see my #48.
OP I am so sorry that this @fixitflav has taken your post to this level,he or she whatever , has absolutely no clue what soever , follow @terryplumb advice , Terry is giving you good advice @fixitflav is just seeking attention and hasnt a clue

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
OP I am so sorry that this @fixitflav has taken your post to this level,he or she whatever , has absolutely no clue what soever , follow @terryplumb advice , Terry is giving you good advice @fixitflav is just seeking attention and hasnt a clue
Always a sign you’re losing the argument, when you resort to insults but can’t answer my questions. 3 main ones.

• You say it’s Y-plan. What evidence is there for that? (I accept it’s more likely than W, but that’s not proof)
  • You said “no external controls ever directly tell a boiler to fire”. I’ve explained that on W-plan the stats do it directly. Another diagram attached as you’re clearly having trouble understanding this.
  • Do you accept my comment on terryplumb’s suggestion that CH stops when the cylinder stat is satisfied? That’s why I said in #42 to turn up the cylinder stat and/or lower the control-stat.
Do ease off on the hysterics, it’s not a good look. There are plenty of things I know more than you do about, W-pan, for a start.

nursek – I do hope ianmcd hasn’t upset you with his rants. Please let us know how you get on with the actual problem.

Attachments

• W-plan.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 42
You say it’s Y-plan. What evidence is there for that? (I accept it’s more likely than W, but that’s not proof)
OK I will keep this simple so you can understand it, the OP posted a pic showing that it is a Y PLAN, not a W plan you know everything you would already know that

Last edited:
OK I will keep this simple so you can understand it, the OP posted a pic showing that it is a Y PLAN, not a W plan you know everything you would already know that
(Apart from my other 2 questions), I'm curious here. W-plan and Y-plan both use a 3-port valve which as far as I'm aware are indistinguishable from a photo. I can't see any part numbers which might identify it. If I'm missing something, I'll hold my hands up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back