Potterton Suprima tripping out

Status
Not open for further replies.
croydoncorgi said:
I assume you're talking about the replacement PCB kit for the Suprima 120L model - yup - when I ordered a new PCB I got the box with the metalweork, the wire, 2 boards, replacement mains filter, etc. I guess someone decided the original had a problem that could not be fixed without recabling... but I've no idea what that was.

AFAIK, the smaller Suprima models are not getting the same treatment.

opps sorry did not mention new type of pcb kit is for suprima UP TO 100.
so all below 100 will be new type pcb kit,probaly when stockists run out of standad little brown box pcb,they will be more available.

Sponsored Links
Yes the new pcb is to replace the 5102160. At the moment though you can get the 5102160 at a steep discount, there are plenty about. The new board/kit is not available cheap anywhere of course.
Potterton have produced a series of poor pcb's - I wonder how long before we're moaning about the new ones. The 510.. board is a lot better than the earlier one, & I must say I haven't had any problems on Suprimas I've installed in the last several years.

potterton now have a milti million pound design and devolopment lab in preston, so hopfully there wont be any more problems with the pcb's as they have been tested for 2 years (i think) under every condition known. i believe they are giving a 2 year warranty on the new kits as well, but dont quote me on that.

the new kits are easy enough to fit, but dose include a new wiring harness........

lets all hope they got it right this time.................................................

I have had this light flashing for the last 2 winters, like everyone else i've tried many things including re-soldering some 11 dry joints, in the end i bought an excvhange pcb from CET ltd. fitted it and no more flashing, what a great feeling, it used to trip out at least 10 times an evening, i cant believe its fixed, all thanks to the tips from this site.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it makes a lot of sense to buy a mended board while there are so many "new" surplus ones about. :confused:

Sounds a lot like the PCB needs re-soldering! it's a really easy job with a soldering iron!
I can tell you from experience that while the PCB itself is tough enough, the copper track and the components on it will come off *very* easily! it's of the lowest quality imaginable.
I found it was the joints that hold the heavier components on that are the faultiest ones, but if you have the time/inclination you should re-solder all joints.

ChrisR.

Do you have a diverter valve for the above boiler, if so how much. How do I contact you direct.

ChrisR said:
Yes the new pcb is to replace the 5102160. At the moment though you can get the 5102160 at a steep discount, there are plenty about. I'm selling them for £60. The new board/kit is not available cheap anywhere of course.

Well, except for um absent minded engineers surplus van stock of course....it's amazing what turns up on ebay!.

I've probably fitted around 25 of the second revision pcbs and only had one bad one, and of the 10 new kits all are ok. Problem for DIY is that wheras the board is debatably not a corgi job, the new one requires access to the boiler innards and removal of the fan (recommended) and so definitely corgi.

I've got some of the new , er , collections of bits but not fitted one yet. How is the fan involved?

Suprimas do not have diverter valves!

ChrisR said:
I've got some of the new , er , collections of bits but not fitted one yet. How is the fan involved?

Just makes it much, much easier to route the cables through, and usually destroys the fan gasket. You need to route the cables, spade connectors and all through a small round bracket directly behind the fan.

After browsing the web I have found this forum. I have the intermitent problem as discussed with a Potterton Suprima 30. Was told by the engineer before taking a peek at the system that the pcb needs replacing. Found the company in Watford that provide recon pcb's. Is there anything I should know if I want to replace the board myself?

Hi Guys
Have been watching this thread for a while and wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Mine is a 7 year old suprima 50 that started to lock out more and more frequently. Purchased a new pcb for £140+vat and have just fitted it. Only problem was that in the kit there was no replacement spark electrode lead and the instructions were not that clear what to do . Got round it using the old leads.
so far so good. I do not think that this should be a job beyond the average DIY person

As before, not much point buying a recon pcb when new 5102160's are around so cheap. £50 now.
Some repairers are buying up the older boards cos it's a lot less work than changing the looms an all with the new kit!
Once the new kit is in, at least a pcb change costs a bit less than before!

edit - NO LONGER!! STOP ASKING!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back