Potterton to hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im wanting to change my thermostat to a hive system but not 100% on the wiring
5963F850-CDB4-42B1-87DC-DC194802FE5D.jpeg
this is the wiring in the potterton prt2
3F4EEBCA-9798-4C70-920D-6D7EFBBA87B3.png
and this is the wiring diagram for the hive, the boiler is a ideal classic and the HW tank is a boilermate 2000, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's a straight swap, terminal for terminal that has the same function as the existing thermostat, which is shown on the diagrams in your pictures.

So at the Hive:

Brown wire to 'Live' (L)
Blue wire to 'Neutral' (N)
Black wire to 'Heating ON' (3)

Insert the link between 'Live' (L) and 'Com' (1)

If you are just replacing a basic thermostat with the Hive (ie not a programmable thermostat) then any existing programmer will have to be set so that the central heating is permanently 'on' otherwise it will override the Hive.

It's a straight swap, terminal for terminal that has the same function as the existing thermostat, which is shown on the diagrams in your pictures.

So at the Hive:

Brown wire to 'Live' (L)

If you are just replacing a basic thermostat with the Hive (ie not a programmable thermostat) then any existing programmer will have to be set so that the central heating is permanently 'on' otherwise it will override the Hive.

Spot on thankyou !!

So at the Hive:

Brown wire to 'Live' (L)

So, if the boiler is a ideal classic ff360 and has a gledhill boilermate 2000 do i need the ‘just heating’ kit or ‘heating and hotwater kit’

Sponsored Links
Good question, and I'm not too sure on that one. The Hive single channel version will replace the existing room thermostat as per your original question and control the heating, but due to the boilermate's nature of operation in that the thermal store needs to be heated to provide hot water and / or heating, I don't think the Hive will really be suitable to control the hot water side of the system. However, as I have never fitted a Hive to a thermal store I can't really say. Hopefully someone else will be along with a more definitive answer.

Yes, it will work with just the central heating. But you will still need to set your existing Central Heating time control to be permanently 'on' and the Hive will control the time and temperature settings.

I'm assuming here that you do have existing independent time control of the Central Heating.

Yeah it has an old style peg control which we hate, thats why we want to change it, thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back