Potterton Thermostat -> Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

would anyone be able to take a look at my proposed wiring to replace the Potterton PRT2 thermostat I have with my recently purchased Hive receiver (heating only version).

Not sure who originally wired the Potterton up, but I would have thought the Red wire would have been in 4 rather than 2 but it make no difference really.

The wiring diagram from the Systemate 3 is also attached

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Attachments

• newwiringsmall.jpg
    newwiringsmall.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 4,744
  • SystemateIII-small.jpg
    SystemateIII-small.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 538
Sponsored Links
Your drawing of the connections to the Hive are correct.

Live goes to the Hive 'Live'
Neutral goes to the Hive 'Neutral'
Switched Live goes to Hive terminal 3 'heating on'
Link between Hive 'Live' and terminal 1 'Common'

To clarify the existing thermostat wiring. The 'rectangle' connected between terminals 4 & 5 is a small heater known as an 'accelerator' it is there to improve the accuracy of the old technology of mechanical thermostats. It should have been wired up to come 'on' only when the thermostat calls for heat. ie with a neutral to terminal (5). With terminals (4) & (3) linked so that it is powered only when the thermostat switches 'on'. Instead yours is linked to the Live terminal (2) so would be 'on' whether the thermostat was satisfied or not.

There is a possibility here that "two wrongs make a right" If for some reason your thermostat was wired with the red and yellow wires transposed. ie yellow is the live, and red is the switched live, the way it is wired would then technically be right.

So, back to the Hive. You have a good chance that it will work, but I would be looking to check that the red wire is actually the permanent live just to be on the safe side.

When installation is complete, your existing timer will need to be set to be 'on' permanently to keep power supplied to the Hive.

Cheers for that Stem,

I'll take a look at the cable wiring on the SystemMate3 tonight and see which colour is in 26.

Much appreciated

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back