Pouring stepped footing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just wondering how this is done? Do you need special concrete at all which wont flow so much? If so will i need to hire a poker?

The step is 300mm with a 600mm overlap.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Usual way of achieving this is to fix a Shutter 300 MM High at the correct height, problem is that to restrain the vertical shutter you need to drive posts into the sides of the foundation, this can introduce loose dirt on to the foundation surface.

There is another problem, if the Shutter, restrained by the posts driven into the sides of the Excavation moves of Plumb it can cause some issues with the bricklayer

A mix of horizontally driven restraints, plus two vertically driven posts, driven into the formation level then removed immediately after the Concrete is poured, you do not want a lump of timber embedded in the Foundation.

Trying to restrain a Shutter from above just does not work the forces acting on the Shutter especially when using a vibrating Poker will simply displace the Shutter.

Ken

Thanks Ken.

Will this be OK with standard GEN1/ST2 concrete, i just have nightmares about it all slumping through the hole and building itself up to the same height on the other side!?

The step is quite near the corners so might have to go deep down with the pegs.

Mike, hi again.

Suggest you have a word with the Concrete supplier, I assume the Concrete will be delivered? and ask them to provide a stiff mix that will move but not run like porridge?

One thought is as I am sure you are aware the top of the Foundation needs to be level all around the top surfaces so the brick layer has a level surface to start off from?

Or? have a look on U tube? everything about anything is on there?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Ken

Many thanks, I'll be putting level points in around the trench to make sure it's flat for the block laying.

Time to get LABC out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back