Power Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a quick question.

As I know and understand, any electrical work in a bathroom and kitchen is prohibited under part P.

But if the power shower pump is located in an airing cuboard or loft space and therefore outside of the bathroom.. and as far as I know.. but could be wrong, part P states 1 socket can be added to 1 circuit.

can I legally install a shower pump.

I know things like an electric shower, shaver sockets are prohibited so I cant install those.

But what about a 12v low voltage extractor fan?.. as the electrics would be in the loft space, and what is in the bathroom side inside the fan is low voltage... my initial thought was that was also included under Part P... and cannot be installed, but I just wanted confirmation.

Sponsored Links
You could extend/alter an existing circuit to add a shower pump outside the bathroom without need for notification. Not sure where you got the one socket/circuit idea from, but there is no arbitrary limit to the amount of additions or alterations you are permitted to make.

As stupid as it is, you could install a ducted fan in the loft with the vent grille in the bathroom, but you can't actually install the fan itself in the bathroom. That is, assuming you don't have to open the bathroom light fitting and pick up a supply from there.

You could extend/alter an existing circuit to add a shower pump outside the bathroom without need for notification. Not sure where you got the one socket/circuit idea from, but there is no arbitrary limit to the amount of additions or alterations you are permitted to make.

As stupid as it is, you could install a ducted fan in the loft with the vent grille in the bathroom, but you can't actually install the fan itself in the bathroom.

Hi, was just something I read before.. by socket I know it can include spur etc.. so I probably should of said 1 extension/alteration per circuit

didnt realise there was no limit on it, thought you could only add 1 addition be it socket/fcu/light then any more and the circuits would need testing and notifying.

but i just found this,

Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

* Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
* Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1.)
* Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2.)
* Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3.)
* Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4.)
* Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5.) and consists of:
o Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6.)
o Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6.)

and as you said it doesnt state a limit, so thanks for the clarification on that one.

I do see why you cant install a 230v fan in the bathroom, as it is mains voltage and installed in an incorrect place could become a danger... but it does seem silly that it applies to 12v fans.. even though those can be installed right over zone 1 due to the remote transformer... which could be in a loft space anyway where the mains voltage connections are made.. in which case your not technically brining mains voltage into the bathroom.

As I know and understand, any electrical work in a bathroom and kitchen is prohibited under part P.
Not so.

This is Part P in its entirety:

34245971.jpg

You should probably read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

part P states 1 socket can be added to 1 circuit.
No it doesn't.

can I legally install a shower pump.
You may.

Whether you can or not is a separate issue.

I know things like an electric shower, shaver sockets are prohibited
No they aren't.

But what about a 12v low voltage extractor fan?..
12V is not low voltage. See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

as the electrics would be in the loft space, and what is in the bathroom side inside the fan is low voltage... my initial thought was that was also included under Part P... and cannot be installed, but I just wanted confirmation.
As you can see, Part P applies to extra low voltage as well as low voltage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back