Power socket on motorcyle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wiring a power socket to my motorbike, ive got all the bits, but thought id just check im doing things right. Appreciate the responses. Thought this was good place to ask.

cigarettelighternz3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why the relay?
Just take the live from the ignition supply (fused obviously)

I did ask myself that after i had already bought the relay. Doh! I suppose this way i can run at a higher current, not wanting to overload the circuit. Though i doubt ill be running anything with a large power consumption.

Sorry my missus is one of them bikers can you tell me why you want a power socket on a motorbike just currious. :D

Sponsored Links
My hairdryer ofcourse lol

I have a gps/pda, and the transformer has anLED on it, ofcourse me being me only realised this after leaving it in garage for a month while i was in norway. Had to bump start it, thought its about time i sorted it out.

So this
i13482_cigarettelighter2.JPG

I normally good at this stuff, but i do make the occasional silly mistake, a second pair od eyes is handy

Yes, sorry getting me watts and ohms law mixed up :oops:

No, you were right with what you said originally. Yes, a 15A rated cable will pass 15A whether at 12 or 230v, but it will need to be larger to keep within sensible volt drop limits @ 12v. Probably not applicable when such short distances are involved as on a motorbike, but hey ho.

Back to the OP, what is the blue fuse trying to indicate? Is this negative?

I presume the relay is there so the outlet isnt live all the time only when the ignition is on, in case you leave your heated gloves accidently plugged in ;)

Yep, i got some pathan gloves now, but heated gloves might be an option in the future The original wire not that thick at all. I think ill do it the first way with a relay.

Do i work out wire thickness by max wattage?

Is it true a 240v 3amp max 720watt cable is suitable for a 12v 15amp application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back