Power supply to summerhouse + workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need power supply to summerhouse and workshop.

The summerhouse have 6 downlighters (50 watts) under the soffit,4 wall lights internal (40 watts)+ 2 double wall socket for light useage and the workshop have 2 strip lights + 3 double wall socket for power tools etc and a single waterproof wall socket outside.

The summerhouse is approx 10m away from the building C/Unit.What supply cable size+ amp size + unit do I need or anything I've missed out ?
Will get sparky in to check my work and final connection etc...

Sponsored Links
Masona,

4mm 3-core SWA would be best (2.5mm is actually suffient for the load you will be drawing but go for the 4mm) terminated in a MCB at the main CU in the house with a shed/garage cu fitted in the summerhouse

TLBS16SLASH6.jpg

The unit can be bought from screwfix for £30, a bit cheaper than TLC are selling it for...

Thanks for that,

Does this unit have some sort of name for this so people know what I'm talking about and not make me look a dimwit :confused: :oops: :)

Looks like a 2-way (4module) IP65 consumer unit using an RCD as a main switch. You may want slightly more capacity than this and I would always make sure I had some spare capacity, even if you don't need it now, it might be useful in the future and the cost difference will be small. As suggested, 4mm would be a good choice with a 32A MCB.

Sponsored Links
it is known as a garage unit it comes with a 30ma RCD 1x16a and 1x6A although you might want a 32a mcb iam not sure if you can chage the mcbs in this

Lads,thanks for the replies

Next question,what is the best or correct way of getting 4mm 3-core SWA to main CU in the house via a 10" solid wall (not a cavity wall)?

And does some part of the wire need protection ?

Filthy said:
a big drill? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Now why didn't I think of that :!:

Stupid question,then stupid answer which is correct :)

What I really meant was :)
Does the cable have to put into a sleeve thru' the wall ?

And it is okay to leave the wire clip to the outside wall without protection to the ground etc?

Can you bend the wire 90 degree into the wall or do you drill it at 45 degree angle?

It would be easier to bend the cable if the wall was drilled at 45deg rather than trying to bend the cable 90deg after it comes thro' the wall. and it can be clipped direct to the wall without any other means of mechanical protection as it is steel wire armoured (SWA). Use cleats rather than clips (more sturdier),4mm is only about an inch diameter so it's fairly easy to work with.

I've been told 4mm 3-core SWA is not easy to get hold of ? but the 6mm 3-core SWA is almost the same price,would I be better off in the long run to use 6mm 3-core SWA instead?

I can't see why you would have difficulty getting hold of 4mm, but there's no harm in using 6mm. Whatever is easier for you.

3 electrical stores didn't have them,perhaps they waiting for a delivery or poor sale demand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back