Powermax 155x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I have the above boiler which is acting up, the symptoms being:

Bath hot water tap runs dry after a while when the CH is on.
Bath hot water tap runs dry immediately when the CH is off.
Separate thermostatic shower runs ok?

I've had this problem before and it was resolved by replacing the Blender valve.

My question is: Does the valve need replacing, or is there a way I can get it work?

Thanks lads

Paul

Sponsored Links
So you've got no water coming out of the bath hot tap at all, either hot or cold?

No, it does start off running hot, but kind of ‘runs out’ and runs dry, and at the point it runs dry there’s a thud noise from the boiler?

Does it just happen on the bath tap are the other hot taps Ok ?

Sponsored Links
If I run other hot taps in the house, they work and run hot. If I let the bath hot tap ‘run dry’ then the other hot taps don’t work (nothing comes out). It seems like there’s not enough hot water for the demands of the bath. If I wait five minutes and retry the hot water will work again briefly before running dry again.

Do you open the bath tap fully ?
Are the bath taps ceramic disc 1/4 turn on to off. Or do you have to turn the handle several turns on to off?

I think you are looking at the blender valve again. I think it is possible to descale them but you can get another for about £70 I think.

How long has the replacement blender valve been fitted ?
The blender can get partially restricted by scale in hard water areas but usually a scale reducer device is installed during installation,powermax had their own electronic water conditioner.

When water fails to run out a hot tap or the mixed water temperature is exceeding its pre set temperature the blender valve (tmv) will have sensed a flow/temp fault and shut down the supply of mixed water (thud). Its a safety device to prevent scalding.

Could be a blender fault or other plumbing fault,replacement blender valves need on site set temperature checking.

When was your powermax last serviced ?

The blender can get partially restricted by scale in hard water areas but usually a scale reducer device is installed during installation,powermax had their own electronic water conditioner.

When water fails to run out a hot tap or the mixed water temperature is exceeding its pre set temperature the blender valve (tmv) will have sensed a flow/temp fault and shut down the supply of mixed water (thud). Its a safety device to prevent scalding.

Could be a blender fault or other plumbing fault,replacement blender valves need on site set temperature checking.

Thanks Old&Bold for the replies.

So its best if get someone out to take a look at it?

Paul

I've another clue to the puzzle. Just tried running the hot tap on the bath, but not at full flow and it worked. It ran for about 5 mins without fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back