praise for DNO - mains was 138 volts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a very strange condition this week, all power to house failed. I turned off all MCBs except one lighting circuit - one CFL then illuminated. Mains input was 138v, and it dropped further as load was added.
Called DNO, 2 truly brilliant guys from SP came out, and diagnosed within minutes that the fault would be broken joint where my service cable meets the main across the road. Correct of course. At least my problem must have been in the Line conductor. If it had been the Neutral/Earth, the effect on my PME would have been nasty.
Supply back on by bedtime, really excellent service. The fault appears to be very common, not good for cable <20 years old. I wonder if it is that common in all areas now?

Sponsored Links
our cables are possibly 80 years old i live in a 1907 terrace

Sponsored Links
With the sheer number of joints out there, faults are more common than you might expect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back