Pre-extension questions

D

danroach

Hi there.

My wife and I moved into our house about a year ago – three bed semi. We are thinking about extending our kitchen out a little, to the side of our house. There is currently a small yard area there which we would like to build on and make a kind of extra kitchen area…perhaps put a sofa and small table in there or an extra run of worktop etc, etc.

I’d really like to get an idea of how to go about it i.e. what to do in what sequence. Do we need an architect? Would it be difficult to move an access manhole cover for drain sewer (I’d obviously need to speak to Severn Trent about that I know). I suppose I’m looking for advice as what I need to do and when in terms of getting the ball rolling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve added a couple of pics for reference.

Thanks everybody.

Dan

//www.diynot.com/network/danroach/albums/9900

Sponsored Links
There are lots of threads on here about this ... I know I've wrote a few of them!

I think Building control would need to be involved as you will need to cut a bigger hole where the door is. An architect is a costly route, but someone who produces construction drawings may be able to draw up a simple plan, permissable with building control.

Sponsored Links
As woody says, there is much information about this kind of proposal if you search on here and similar forums. Search and you will have a little more knowledge of how to detail and frame your questions.
In the mean time, post pics of side and rear of property and a view of that flat roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back