pre-pay token meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished rewiring a property I am renovating. The rewiring is complete up to the point that all that remains is to disconnect the tails from the existing CU and connect them to the new one. In the past I have simple pulled the supply fuse and switched the tails over, however as we know there can be associated complications doing this, in particular the breaking of the seal…

To avoid this I am considering a different approach. The property currently has a pre-pay token meter installed and I am thinking that if I simply allow the credit to run out the supply to the existing CU is cut off. I could then switch over the tails with out the need to remove the supply fuse.

My question is: does anyone know if the supply is totally cut off when these meters run out of credit? Are both the Neutral and Live feeds isolated or is it only the live feed that is cut off?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most likely the live would be shut off... but it won't be isolation standards I wouldn't have though (3mm contact gap... visual indication of contact position, etc)

I can only advise you to not do it.

In all probability the meter will only switch the live. I would not do it, because you can't guarantee isolation.

Why not ask DNO to fit isolator for you? Or you fit isolator and ask them to disconnect while you reconnect then reseal?

Or just pay the £18 connection fee. (WPD area).

Just for your record - pulling the service fuse will also not isolate the neutral!

Sponsored Links
and tell them to get their electric meter upgraded to an electric key meter - i think they are doing this FOC at the moment. Electric tokens are the work of Satan. :evil:

if you let the meter run out completely is there a surcharge before putting credit back on? -I'm not sure at all on this one just something nigling in the back of my mind, and it would be better to know first!

the token meters have emergency credit, something like £5 pops up when it "runs out" - when you next buy tokens, you have to replenish this "negative credit" too. So when it gets to zero, you will also then have to wait for the emergency to run out. Though im not sure if you can stop the emergency credit from activating.

Emergency credit value is at the descretion of the supplier. In many bedsits, they give around 50 pence! Just enough to get to the shop and back.

grab the bull by the horns and dont be a baby. just do it live or DEAD

I did this in an old property, worked a treat and i'm still alive wahey!!!

fireman22 said:
grab the bull by the horns and dont be a baby. just do it live or DEAD
tracy3108 said:
I did this in an old property, worked a treat and i'm still alive wahey!!!

You two should be ashamed. Note to all DIYers. Working live is extremely dangerous and should NEVER be attempted. Always isolate all power to your working area and check it is dead each time you leave and return - you never know. If possible remove fuses / MCBs to prevent accidental re-energisation of the circuit concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back