Prepping a cable for a plug

Sponsored Links
Fair point, but when manufacturers instructions contradict BS 7671 or any other british standard for that matter, and you can't see any good reason for doing so, it's time to question the manufacturers instructions!

If I had a batch to make up I would probably start with a simple jig for the correct conductor lengths.
Just a block of wood the right thickness to snug the outer sheath up to one side, the stripper jaws against t'other, and away you go.

For the three different conductor lengths required, just cut three different steps in the block.

Sponsored Links
The measurements I used were taken from the little card you get with the plug from new.

Then all the advice you have been given on this forum is totally incorrect. The regs clearly state that manufacturers instructions must be obeyed, ie they override BS 7671.

The advice given here (the earth being longer to ensure it is the last wire to detach if the lead is pulled out) should over ride the information in the instructions.

That advice was given many years ago when I and others were examined on our ability to safely fit fused plugs to equipment by my then employer.

The mere hint on the card that cables could be pulled out is an admission that the cord grip might fail. That is an admission the manufacturers must avoid making in case it does happen and they are sued for consequential damage or injury as a result.

The use of crimped on ferrules was also recommended for some of the thinner wires to prevent them being cut by the screw being over tightened. How many manufacturers include torque settings on their instruction cards ?.

it woulda been nicer if the protective conductor was a little longer :) and/or the N a little shorter.

Is there a preference for the type of cord grip?

The one I had was a bit fiddly, but quicker to put in than the screw-down type.

I prefer the screw down type as the pressure ( squeeze ) on the cable remains constant even when the pull on the cable increases. If the cable is pulled out it tends to come out with insulation intact and the conductors severed close to the terminals. But not always

Some of the other type increase the squeeze as the pull on the cable increases and can act almost like wire strippers and when the cable is pulled out there can be bare copper still attached to terminals in the plug.

There are instances where the cable gets pulled out?

Seen a few. Most were someone tripping over the cable but one was a small child using the cable as a climbing rope. Sockets had been fitted high in the wall, intention was to prevent children reaching them. Possibly the child wanted to turn the socket on. it failed (':(')

Yes it does happen, that's why we wire a plug so the lives pull out first and quite a bit of earthwire is still connected or is the very last to disconnect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back